Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Vancouver, BC1305
University of Regina, Regina, SK1083
Algoma University: Sault Ste. Marie/Brampton, ON 1059
Private:
Yorkville University - Rented office space in middle of nowhere2701
CDI College - High rejection rate2183
Herzing College - I don't know about this one1879
University of Canada West - Well known MBA degree mill1414
Matrix College - Have not even heard of this one yet!

Source: Link

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Colleges:Study Permits Issued (2019)
Conestoga College, Kitchener ON.7561
St. Clair College, Windsor, ON.5161
Lambton College, The Sarnia, ON.4655
Northern College (Pures & Timmins), Timmins/Scarborough, ON3766
Centennial College, Toronto, ON.3721
Universities:
University of Windsor, Windsor, ON.1712
Cape Breton University, Cape Breton Island, NS.1328
Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Vancouver, BC1305
University of Regina, Regina, SK1083
Algoma University: Sault Ste. Marie/Brampton, ON1059
Private:
Yorkville University - Rented office space in middle of nowhere2701
CDI College - High rejection rate2183
Herzing College - I don't know about this one1879
University of Canada West - Well known MBA degree mill1414
Matrix College - Have not even heard of this one yet!

Source: Link
Reputable University (University of Windsor) Approval Rate: 89.6%
MBA Degree MIll (University Canada West) Approval Rate: 52.6%
Well Known College (Centennial) Approval Rate: 84.6%
Private College Approval Rate (Herzing) : 46%

Keep in mind Indians have a general approval rate of around 70-75%, let me know if I'm mistaken on this figure

Great insight in that the institution you choose to attend may matter more than the program you are doing! (sometimes)
@beinghumble

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I'd also never heard of "Matrix College" despite living in Montreal for three years, and I can see why: the banner at the top of their website is all about how they accept the Duolingo English test. Tip: if the place is any good, Canadians will go there. They won't be catering almost exclusively to international students.

The explosion in popularity of the study permit-to-PR pathway has created such strong economic incentives for the government, employers, and schools alike that real problems like this are being ignored, even as they hurt the overall brand value of Canadian higher education. Simply removing these private diploma mills from the DLI list, and cracking down on shady foreign consultants and agents, would do a lot to stop the evolution of study permits and PGWPs into a low-paid guest worker program. Ultimately, the ones losing out in this gold rush are genuine students.

beinghumble

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
Reputable University (University of Windsor) Approval Rate: 89.6%
MBA Degree MIll (University Canada West) Approval Rate: 52.6%
Well Known College (Centennial) Approval Rate: 84.6%
Private College Approval Rate (Herzing) : 46%

Keep in mind Indians have a general approval rate of around 70-75%, let me know if I'm mistaken on this figure

Great insight in that the institution you choose to attend may matter more than the program you are doing! (sometimes)
@beinghumble
Thanks for the insight brother, really appreciate it. In my case even though my college was Conestoga which was having most visa acceptance ratio, I think my exp gap of 7yrs must have been the refusal reason what the VO think.
On the other hand, I know a guy who passed out in 2011, 8 yrs exp gap, ielts one module 5.5, applied to CDI Montreal with all the financial docs & everything, he got his visa & reached Canada this march. I sometimes laugh on my helplessness & literally don't understand how the VO evaluate the files. Also have seen many pakistan students with profiles so good that getting a refusal for them for worthless reasons was alarming & confusing. I guess the VO don't care & just in a matter of seconds decide the fate of the applicant & that person has to get up from the melt down & proceed again from the very beginning.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
This story is quite telling.

The government wants international students because the Canadian birthrate is low, and additional human capital is needed to pay into the social safety net to support the retirement of the aging boomer generation. In theory, those who have already been educated here are ideal future immigrants, and whatever problems they encounter now, their children and grandchildren will all be fully integrated Canadians. Plus, from day one, they stimulate the economy with their discretionary spending on housing and food. This all makes sense from a government perspective.

Businesses want international students because the Canadian population is getting more educated, and therefore more concentrated in major cities where white-collar jobs tend to be. This leaves low-wage industries across the country, and especially in rural areas, in need of workers. Fewer Canadians are available and willing to pour coffee at a Tim Hortons in Timmins, stock shelves at a Canadian Tire in Sarnia, clean offices in Charlottetown, or drive a trailer truck from Saskatoon to Swift Current, but someone still has to do those jobs. International students and graduates show up on time and don't complain about working conditions like their Canadian counterparts, no matter how little you pay them. This all makes sense from a business perspective.

Finally, colleges want international students because as Canadians become more educated, they are also choosing more often to attend universities, not colleges. In the face of declining domestic enrolment, colleges have discovered that international students are a lucrative revenue source who will pay three or even four times as much as their Canadian peers, keeping the entire school afloat. Furthermore, their academic struggles aside, international students are far less likely to drop out because they legally can't if they want to stay in Canada. This all makes sense from a college perspective.

Add it all together, and you have three very powerful sectors (the government, businesses, and colleges) with the same incentives to continue accepting more and more international students. Good luck going against that. I would venture to call it the international student-industrial complex. Don't forget the unregistered consultants and agents hanging on to the underbelly of the whole thing! There truly is money to be made all around, even in the middle of a global pandemic.

What does this mean for you, the prospective international student? Well, it's a great opportunity to have a better life in Canada. As long as you understand your place in this system, attend a reputable school, and work hard to achieve your goals, you'll be seen as a success by a lot of important people. Good luck!

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
This story is quite telling.

The government wants international students because the Canadian birthrate is low, and additional human capital is needed to pay into the social safety net to support the retirement of the aging boomer generation. In theory, those who have already been educated here are ideal future immigrants, and whatever problems they encounter now, their children and grandchildren will all be fully integrated Canadians. Plus, from day one, they stimulate the economy with their discretionary spending on housing and food. This all makes sense from a government perspective.

Businesses want international students because the Canadian population is getting more educated, and therefore more concentrated in major cities where white-collar jobs tend to be. This leaves low-wage industries across the country, and especially in rural areas, in need of workers. Fewer Canadians are available and willing to pour coffee at a Tim Hortons in Timmins, stock shelves at a Canadian Tire in Sarnia, clean offices in Charlottetown, or drive a trailer truck from Saskatoon to Swift Current, but someone still has to do those jobs. International students and graduates show up on time and don't complain about working conditions like their Canadian counterparts, no matter how little you pay them. This all makes sense from a business perspective.

Finally, colleges want international students because as Canadians become more educated, they are also choosing more often to attend universities, not colleges. In the face of declining domestic enrolment, colleges have discovered that international students are a lucrative revenue source who will pay three or even four times as much as their Canadian peers, keeping the entire school afloat. Furthermore, their academic struggles aside, international students are far less likely to drop out because they legally can't if they want to stay in Canada. This all makes sense from a college perspective.

Add it all together, and you have three very powerful sectors (the government, businesses, and colleges) with the same incentives to continue accepting more and more international students. Good luck going against that. I would venture to call it the international student-industrial complex. Don't forget the unregistered consultants and agents hanging on to the underbelly of the whole thing! There truly is money to be made all around, even in the middle of a global pandemic.

What does this mean for you, the prospective international student? Well, it's a great opportunity to have a better life in Canada. As long as you understand your place in this system, attend a reputable school, and work hard to achieve your goals, you'll be seen as a success by a lot of important people. Good luck!
Yeah, Canada doesn't want students and PRs to work white collar jobs in major cities. They want them to work blue collar and service jobs in rural locations. That's why I keep stating the need to attend a top ranked university which helps somewhat. The knowledge required and competition to earn a entry level 60K job is much higher than in most developed countries.

Reactions: primaprime