+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian spouse of a French citizen. Need advice on visitor visa.

Oct 16, 2019
Hi,

currently my wife and I reside in china and we are about to leave for France, where my wife will make an application for her study permit, I plan to accompany her on a visitor visa to help her with finding a House ,settling down and to visit Canada. Im enrolled in a Full time Phd program with full scholarship sponsored by the chinese government with a monthly stipend to cover my expenses, and I also have valid year long spouse visa for France. I've a decent travel history, in south-east asia and last time I visited india was 2 years ago.
  • my questions are:
  • What documents should I submit to prove my home ties towards India as I havent lived in india for a while and my strongest family tie is my wife who is French?
  • Will my long term abscence from the country of my origin pose a risk towards my application,as it seems obvious, I dont have very strong ties with my country?
  • We dont own or posses any tangible property in India/France but we have adequate funds in our joint account,Im planning on submiting a student status certificate issued by my university and a return ticket to china, do you guys think this will be sufficient proof to convince the Visa officer?
Thank you.:)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'm really confused. Is she setting up a house in Canada or France?

Your residence in a third country and lack of concrete ties outside of Canada will work against your application for a TRV. If you have proof of other reasons why you will leave Canada after your authorized stay, you may still receive the visa.

Reactions: dr.shahbaazshareef
Oct 16, 2019
I'm really confused. Is she setting up a house in Canada or France?

Your residence in a third country and lack of concrete ties outside of Canada will work against your application for a TRV. If you have proof of other reasons why you will leave Canada after your authorized stay, you may still receive the visa.
Thank you for your reply. she isnt buying a house, she is going to study there. and I have to finish my PhD in China isnt this a strong reason to leave Canada? And I'm a physician my job prospects in my country of origin are good. We have adequate amount of funds to cover our trip and her studies. the reason we are applying from France is because it's easy for her to get the study permit. And we are visiting her family during christmas.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you for your reply. she isnt buying a house, she is going to study there. and I have to finish my PhD in China isnt this a strong reason to leave Canada? And I'm a physician my job prospects in my country of origin are good. We have adequate amount of funds to cover our trip and her studies. the reason we are applying from France is because it's easy for her to get the study permit. And we are visiting her family during christmas.
Only some of those are reasons why you would leave Canada and none of them are ties to your country of citizenship or residence. Some actually work against you (applying for a permit in a country that is "easier").

Your PhD in China is a reason for you to return to China. However, as its a third country - its not your country of citizenship and it's not Canada - it shows that you're not particularly tied to your home country. And transportable skills mean you could find jobs in Canada, as well. Though as a physician it's more complex.

I wish you luck. You need to make a compelling case why you'd leave Canada and have proof that shows it would be more than just a preference to leave.

Oct 16, 2019
well according to my understanding a Spouse is considered to be the strongest tie and we are planning to settle in France. Anyways i get your point.
Thank you.