+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

indian price for pens, deodorants, shampoo, frying pan,etc in vancouver

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hi

i will come to north vancouver in august end for my studies

was thinking whether i should carry pens, notebooks, deodorants, shampoo, toothpaste, etc for 6 months

an axe deo costs 150 (96ml) in india

will i get all these things at indian price at walmart and other savings stores?

what abt pressure cookers, frying pan,etc

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If customs go through your bag and find them you will have to pay import duty on the items anyway as you are supposed to have owned and used all items.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

was thinking whether i should carry pens, notebooks, deodorants, shampoo, toothpaste, etc for 6 months

will i get all these things at indian price at walmart and other savings stores?

u can bring pen for sure from india as they will be cheaper.
shampoo like panteen would cost around $4-$6 for a nice size bottle in walmart (dont know shampoo perice in india)
notebooks r cheaper in india. axe costs $4-$5 in walmart toothpaste is cheap and can be bought for $1 in dollar stores.so depending on how much spend on these items in india u can decide.....no worries for custom ur moving to canada u have allowance. i suggest bring enough of these stuff for the first month so that u dont have to go shopping right away.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

and definitely carry pressure cooker and frying pan and other utensils..i carried the whole dinner set too as i am married, as a single u wouldnt need it...utensils very expensive here....dont worry about customs..... i carried the entire kitchen utensils and one month supply of all the masalas , dals (non perishables)...i recommend 2 month supply of masala.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope you followed the regulations as to bringing in food and reporting to customs your goods to follow/accompanying.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

As far as Indian price is concerned you obviously wont get that because this way it will be hard for you to buy a bottle of water. You obviously wont bring 4 years of water, food and stationary supplies from India, you might as well have stayed in India instead of coming here. Prices here are more expensive compared to India, America, and a lot of other countries in the world. But definitely cheaper than England. Anyway just bring whatever you can to survive for 2 weeks and the rest you can get from grocery stores here. And yes we dont live in Igloos and Canada is a developed nation.

nithin5a6

Star Member
May 2, 2013
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi - VFS Hyd
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Photocopy Sent - IELTS SCORE: 7.0
File Transfer...
Handed over to VFS HYD on 24-06-2013
Med's Request
Pre-Medicals
Med's Done....
24 July
Interview........
Was not required
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2013
LANDED..........
21 Aug 2013 :)
newtone said:
As far as Indian price is concerned you obviously wont get that because this way it will be hard for you to buy a bottle of water. You obviously wont bring 4 years of water, food and stationary supplies from India, you might as well have stayed in India instead of coming here. Prices here are more expensive compared to India, America, and a lot of other countries in the world. But definitely cheaper than England. Anyway just bring whatever you can to survive for 2 weeks and the rest you can get from grocery stores here. And yes we dont live in Igloos and Canada is a developed nation.

Fair enough. Very much reasonable answer!
I'm gonna follow the above!

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just remember to read CBSA website on food because not everything is allowed.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
nithin5a6 said:
Fair enough. Very much reasonable answer!
I'm gonna follow the above!
u have a lot of things to do once u reach canada for the first time like find residence , college oriantation registration for classes , etc u do not want to be worried about small things like food supplies and toiletries so its bets to take 1-2 month supply for personal care items that way u can focus on more important things like college. u dont want to struggle to find indian store to find masala u can do that later on when u make friends. Also u have lot of space in ur bags dont keep them empty use all the weight and bag allowances. U can get everything in canada that u need however new city new country can be intimidating and finding stuff more difficult.
This is just my suggestion.

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hi mead.....thanks for the suggestion will follow it.....

are indian masalas, flour very expensive over there?

i dont knw if this happens over there but in australia..... many departmental stores have many daily offers on shampoos, deos and other such stuff wherein these things come for a very cheap price.....

and they also have shops where they reduce price of chicken,cakes,breads and other food stuff after 8 or 9 pm.....

of course i will not be able to buy this most of the times but just want an idea

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its not that expensive, ready made masalas are a little pricy but powder masalas are reasonable. If you know how to cook then its better to get the powder masala.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
a frnd in australia told me all this
You can not compare Australia to india to Canada to UK to Germany or any country to any other country. Every place is different. Your friend in Australia can tell you what it's like in Australia.

You can also not compare Dollar to Rupies to Euro to Pound. Everything is different. same with prices. What a Canadian might consider is cheap, you could consider expensive.

Canada has a multitude of shops. Loblaws, Sobey's, Metro, President's Choice etc. They are all different grocery stores. All grocery stores have the usual deodorants, shampoos, etc.

The advantage with Canada is that the country is built on immigration which means there is a variety of groceries available in all regular grocery stores. You will also find specialty stores. And just as London and New York you have sections of town like china town, greek town, little italy, etc. You will find specialty store for asian food as well. Don't worry.

Don't worry about what you need. Instead, be prepared for the massive culture shock I believe you will go through.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi mead.....thanks for the suggestion will follow it.....

are indian masalas, flour very expensive over there?

i dont knw if this happens over there but in australia..... many departmental stores have many daily offers on shampoos, deos and other such stuff wherein these things come for a very cheap price.....

and they also have shops where they reduce price of chicken,cakes,breads and other food stuff after 8 or 9 pm.....

of course i will not be able to buy this most of the times but just want an idea
masalas like everest or shaan or maharaja masalas r like $1-$2 a pack not very expensive...u can bring some with u and once u get to know the cheap grocery store u buy stuff from there.....different stores have different prices and deal/sales. once u get to know the range of prices u can shop around to find the best price. these things will take time. many friends who have come before u may already have information on where to buy stuff. I go to 4-5 different stores to find stuff.... like i buy milk from one place and naan from another. U will get used to shopping here dont worry. Also u will compare prices for few days after u get here but keep in mind things may be a little expensive here if u start converting into rupees so my advice dont worry and minimize conversion....