+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Driving experience ?? for all Indians - Saves $ in insurance

msingh

Dec 18, 2009
Hi All,

I have heard from my cusion that having a letter from the RTO stating 4wheeler driving expericnace, can save you from paying high amount of monthly insuance. say about 150$ CAD/ month.

Seniors/ PMM/ LEON,

Can you please validate this story. how far is it true. and what is the way to get this, As I have made attempts, checking with the local RTO in India, with NO Luck !

Apprecite suggestions from all !

Thanks !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

msingh said:
Hi All,

I have heard from my cusion that having a letter from the RTO stating 4wheeler driving expericnace, can save you from paying high amount of monthly insuance. say about 150$ CAD/ month.

Seniors/ PMM/ LEON,

Can you please validate this story. how far is it true. and what is the way to get this, As I have made attempts, checking with the local RTO in India, with NO Luck !

Apprecite suggestions from all !

Thanks !
I don't know about other provinces, but in BC if you can prove no-claims your insurance will be less, up to 42% for 7 years no claim. You require a letter from the insurance company and it must be in the following format for BC. http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving/moving-to

"You might be eligible for a discount on your insurance if you can prove a claim-free insurance history of longer than one year.

You can reduce your Autoplan premium if your insurance coverage was claim-free. When you licence and insure your vehicle bring a claim history letter. You will need this if you want to qualify for a Claim-Rated Scale discount. When you ask for this letter, remind your previous insurer that it must:

* Be on the insurance company’s letterhead.
* Show the main driver’s name and the policy number.
* State the period you had coverage, and the dates of any at-fault claims.
* Be written in English. If the claim letter is not written in English, it must also be:
o translated by a certified translator, and
o submitted along with the certified translation.

Find a certified translator in B.C.external link (Disclaimer)

Next, bring the original letter or have the insurance company fax it to your Autoplan broker.

If you don’t have your insurance history letters when you first apply for Autoplan insurance, you have up to six months to obtain them and submit a Claim-Rated Scale application. Once your letters and application are received, ICBC will determine if you are entitled to a Claim-Rated Scale discount. Simply complete this application form (PDF) and return it to us at:"

PMM

Oct 19, 2017
Does anyone know if this is true for Ontario? I have a full license in India issued in 2010 but only just got my Ontario license (also had US license 2015) and am hoping to reduce my insurance premiums.