+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian citizenship for a Canadian newborn

ankur21

Apr 16, 2014
Hi ,
Can a newborn in Canada born to Indian citizens get Indian citizenship?
I know Canada support dual citizenship ,but not sure in this case what will be the process to get the Indian citizenship for the newborn Canadian.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
India does not let you have dual citizenship..

your child will only have Canadian Citizenship..your child can still apply for OCI

mycanada_app

Feb 28, 2014
ankur21 said:
Hi ,
Can a newborn in Canada born to Indian citizens get Indian citizenship?
I know Canada support dual citizenship ,but not sure in this case what will be the process to get the Indian citizenship for the newborn Canadian.
Talk to Indian consulate and CIC for various options, Indian constitution doesnt allow dual citizenship, even if other countries allow dual, India doesnt allow. I believe even if child accepts one citizenship(irrespective what the choice is now), he might still have a choice to keep a citizenship when he/she turns 18yrs....so for more accurate info talk Indian consulate and CIC as soon as possible.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mycanada_app said:
Talk to Indian consulate and CIC for various options, Indian constitution doesnt allow dual citizenship, even if other countries allow dual, India doesnt allow. I believe even if child accepts one citizenship(irrespective what the choice is now), he might still have a choice to keep a citizenship when he/she turns 18yrs....so for more accurate info talk Indian consulate and CIC as soon as possible.
Has absolutely nothing to do with CIC. It is between the OP and the Indian Gov't. They can't renounce the Canadian citizenship of the child.

To be eligible to renounce your Canadian citizenship, you must:

be a Canadian citizen
prove that you are or that you will become a citizen of a country other than Canada if your application to renounce is approved
not live in Canada
be at least 18 years old
not be a threat to Canada’s security or part of a pattern of criminal activity and
understand the significance of renouncing your Canadian citizenship.