+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India Police certificate for citizenship

sunshine007

May 19, 2018
Hello All,
I have looked through the past threads but not able to find a clear answer for this situation:
We are indian citizens
1. We got our Canada PR (soft landing) on Mar 1, 2019. We went back to India on Mar 11, 2019.
2. We came to Canada again on June 5, 2020 and have lived in Canada since then.

In the citizenship application, in the last 4 years we have lived more than 183 days in India (prior to coming to Canada). Do we require a police clearance certificate?

In this link, it says the following:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
>>For us, this is Yes in India.

Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
  • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
>>I think this is Yes too, meaning we don't need a certificate.

Would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello All,
I have looked through the past threads but not able to find a clear answer for this situation:
We are indian citizens
1. We got our Canada PR (soft landing) on Mar 1, 2019. We went back to India on Mar 11, 2019.

In the citizenship application, in the last 4 years we have lived more than 183 days in India (prior to coming to Canada). Do we require a police clearance certificate?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • since the age of 18

Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and

Thanks!
You were in India after landing so second rule does not work for you. So you need a PCC.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello All,
We are indian citizens

Police certificate(s)

• in the past 4 years
  • since the age of 18

Thanks!
PCC lagega like @forw.jane mentioned when you went back to India you lived their for more than 183+ days as a result a new PCC is required.
Process should be simple, just apply for PCC through BLS Canada https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/police-clearance-certificate.php