+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

India - OCI Query - Marriage certificate

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
While applying for the OCI, one document the Indian embassy is looking for is :

Spouse name should be entered in the Indian Passport if the applicant is married. If spouse name is not entered in their respective
Indian passport, then their marriage certificate should be issued by a competent Government authority, stamped by the
Marriage Registrar and by Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.

If applicant does not have marriage certificate attested by MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) New Delhi, then it can be accepted along
with notarized joint affidavit containing joint photograph and signatures from notary public or lawyer in Canada.

Does any one have an experience of going through this? any advise or if you have been through this, any sample will be appreciated.

cecapplied

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
Wish they would make it a bit simpler. I am in same boat although yet to apply. I think submitting marriage certificate should be ok (MEA stamp seems overkill), but never know for sure. If you end up going to consulate do let us know what they say. Are you applying for family or just yourself ?

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
cecapplied said:
While applying for the OCI, one document the Indian embassy is looking for is :

Spouse name should be entered in the Indian Passport if the applicant is married. If spouse name is not entered in their respective
Indian passport, then their marriage certificate should be issued by a competent Government authority, stamped by the
Marriage Registrar and by Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.

If applicant does not have marriage certificate attested by MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) New Delhi, then it can be accepted along
with notarized joint affidavit containing joint photograph and signatures from notary public or lawyer in Canada.

Does any one have an experience of going through this? any advise or if you have been through this, any sample will be appreciated.

cecapplied
I got the spouse name on my latest renewed Indian Passport by just showing the spouse's passport with my name and the marriage certificate
issued from the US.

Actually, getting the certificate attested by the MEA is not all that difficult either if you were in India, close to New Delhi...

The notarized joint affidavit with photos and signatures is very straightforward and takes just a few minutes. Notary public
just attests to the fact that the person who has signed the document is actually the one whose names appear on the document.
He doesn't need to verify the info on the affidavit. If somebody challenges the info in the court, the notary public is off the hook.
So they would have no problem attesting just about anything. It's easy money for them, $15-$40 for just one attestation...

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing yet, i am hoping to apply for a visitor visa to india, and while i am there, hope to get my mea attestation/appolistation done.

Have you applied for oci yet ?

cecapplied
karthicbaboo said:
Yes am in same situation, what did you do

milestogo

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Even Tricky situation with me

We married in India in 2011 never registered our marriage..........Never need it as we both were PR at that time

We been in Canada since then and now she is getting Canadian citizenship soon

Not sure if i can register my marriage now in India

Any views

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
milestogo said:

We married in India in 2011 never registered our marriage..........Never need it as we both were PR at that time

Any views

Do you mean you don't have a marriage certificate at all ? from India /canada or wherever?. Not sure then how you could prove the marriage for this prupose. If you live close to one of the Bls offices might be worth going there to ask, or even better try the consulate. It doesn't matter whether you need or not for PR purposes, having a marriage certificate (from any country) will make things easier whenever there is a need to prove you are a couple.

I believe marriages in India are registered under Hindu Act or Special act. Typically the process to register marriage under Hindu act (am not aware about the special act details but lots of info on web) is simply to fill up the relevant government form, signed by the priest etc, and submitted to municipal or relevant office. As you are still Indian citizens the consulate maybe able to help and give it a try before citizenship changes.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
milestogo said:

Any views
Next to impossible to get the certificate now from India. Best chance is to get it right at the time of the wedding in India...
To get it now, you will need signatures from the priest, provided the temple/ priest/ wedding halls have any records of the weddings
in the past... Best bet is to get have a joint affidavit if you want to have spouse name on passport, that's a proxy
for marriage certificate... (of course, you could always find a way around most impossible things in India, though..., but to save you hassles...)

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
I believe the joint affidavit mentioned on BLS is in lieu of "spouse name in passport" and supports marriage certificate. doubt if it can work in lieu of the marriage certificate requirement. There must be some sort of sworn statement that may work; not sure if it would just be easier to get marriage registered in canada instead (again they may need some proof or sworn statement, not aware of requirements)

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
mehtapr said:
I believe the joint affidavit mentioned on BLS is in lieu of "spouse name in passport" and supports marriage certificate. doubt if it can work in lieu of the marriage certificate requirement. There must be some sort of sworn statement that may work; not sure if it would just be easier to get marriage registered in canada instead (again they may need some proof or sworn statement, not aware of requirements)
I know personally ppl who have used joint affidavit in lieu of marriage certificate for a green card in the US...
accompanied by proof living together and even better if there were children
If the US accepts this, so should every country in the world!

bhavikc.patel

Sep 17, 2017
Hi Guys, Need you expertise advise.

I'm going to apply OCI soon and looking into requirement. I came across "Spouse Name as per Passport" requirement and I would like to know if I need to go for Joint Affidavit or not.

My and my kid passports have my spouse's old name(her name prior to marriage) as per her old passport detail. When she renewed her passport last time prior to coming Canada, She changed her name(now her middle name is husband name instead of father name).

Since both I and her, have spouse name listed in passports (though my passport has her old name), Not sure if this works or I need to do joint affidavit of marriage. Please suggest?

Also, If anyone can confirm about requirement of coping Canadian passport, do we need to copy all pages or just photo page?

Thanks in advance.