+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent Visa vs Co-applicant

Oct 30, 2019
Hi,

My son-in-law is holding a PR card (resident) and living in Canada since last 5 years. My daughter got married to him and hence has got PR number now. My son already has visiter visa of canada.

Now, I would like to apply for visiter visa for myself and my daughter in law.

My question is, should I apply for myself (main applicant) and my daughter-in-law (co-applicant) together. OR shall I apply the visa for two of us seperately?

Thanks

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
If we are talking about your own daughter, yes you can apply together with you as main applicant and her as co-applicant. Each person must complete and sign the Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM 5257), as well as any other forms needed. Each applicant aged 18 or over must also complete the Family Information form (IMM 5645).

If we are talking about your daughter-in-law, you need to apply separately.

Oct 30, 2019
If we are talking about your own daughter, yes you can apply together with you as main applicant and her as co-applicant. Each person must complete and sign the Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM 5257), as well as any other forms needed. Each applicant aged 18 or over must also complete the Family Information form (IMM 5645).

If we are talking about your daughter-in-law, you need to apply separately.
Thanks for your reply. My daughter is already holding PR number as I mentioned in my post. I'm referring to daughter in law here for fresh application.

The thing I am afraid is, I have a legitimate reason for my application, as I have my daughter staying in Canada and I would like to visit there.

But in case of my daughter in law, I am wondering if I can give the reference of my daughter or not to strengthen her application. My daughter in law is 28 and is housewife. I am worried if her application would get rejected. Hence I was thinking to make her as co-applicant. Please suggest.

kat3onah

May 13, 2019
Category........
Thanks for your reply. My daughter is already holding PR number as I mentioned in my post. I'm referring to daughter in law here for fresh application.

The thing I am afraid is, I have a legitimate reason for my application, as I have my daughter staying in Canada and I would like to visit there.

But in case of my daughter in law, I am wondering if I can give the reference of my daughter or not to strengthen her application. My daughter in law is 28 and is housewife. I am worried if her application would get rejected. Hence I was thinking to make her as co-applicant. Please suggest.
As per definition on the site, your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

Even if you apply together your application will be evaluated individually. Having relatives in Canada does not guarantee that you will be issued a visa. Visa officers assess you to decide whether you meet the terms of Canada's immigration law.
Having a valid purpose, strong ties (job, home, assets and properties, family.. that will take you back to your home country) and financial capability to travel are some of the factors that are considered by the visa officer to grant you a visa.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019
As per definition on the site, your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

Even if you apply together your application will be evaluated individually. Having relatives in Canada does not guarantee that you will be issued a visa. Visa officers assess you to decide whether you meet the terms of Canada's immigration law.
Having a valid purpose, strong ties (job, home, assets and properties, family.. that will take you back to your home country) and financial capability to travel are some of the factors that are considered by the visa officer to grant you a visa.
Thanks for giving the clarity. I can make a decision now. Appreciate it.

Oct 30, 2019
My daughter and son-in-law hold a PR.

I am widow, age: 60 years. I wish to apply travel visa for myself (1 month duration) and forsee frequent short visit to canada in future to see my daughter. Also I would need to stay for more than a year during my daughter's pregnancy.

Q1: There are three types of visa types available for me in form (imm5257e). i would like to understand which one should I choose.?
a). Super Visa: For Parents or Grandparents
b). Family Visit
c). Tourism

Q2: I am widow and i do get a family pension from Government of India. In imm5257e form, under EMPLOYMENT section can I submit my Family Pension details (instead of stating as "Housewife")?

Q3: In Questionnaire, what to choose for this question:- " How long are you planning to stay in Canada? (required)"
a) Temporarily - less than 6 months
b) Temporarily - more than 6 months

Q4: Regarding "Proof of Means of Financial Support", I am planning to show below docs without any CACE certificate from CA. Is that enough and okay?
a) Pension Slips
b) Residential Plot Sale Deed
c) Farming Land Sale Deed
d) 4 months Bank Statement (CAD $20,000 balance)

Last edited: