+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent Freelancer What Tax Form Do I Fill Out?

pettar2462

Jan 25, 2016
This is a question I cannot find anywhere on the interweb.

I just recently moved to Canada to be with my spouse, and have a Canadian Permanent Residency.
I am a freelance graphic designer and work from home. I still have a LOT of American clients.

Just recently a new client asked me to fill out a W9 form so they can send me the proper tax forms in January. That got me thinking...now that I am living in Canada as a resident, should I be filling out a W9 form or should I be filling out a similar form that is Canadian to send to them? Should I be filling out both?

I know I am still going to have to file my taxes to the IRS as well as the CRA now that I am officially in the great white north. But I'm curious as to what forms I should be filling out now that I'm officially in Canada but still a citizen of the good ole US of A. I want to make sure I'm doing this right, but really have no idea.

Any help or guidance would be wonderful and put my troubled mind at ease.

Cheers!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would encourage you to find an accountant because you are self employed (how to structure your business to be the most tax efficient) and because you will filing taxes in both countries. There are accountants who specialize in US and Canadian filings.

Reactions: pettar2462