+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent Contractor - What is your suggestion for Private Health Insurance?

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Hello to all Independent Contractors out there,

I am considering to take a private health insurance to cover vision, dental, paramedics as I am not covered for those by my current employer. I am below 30 and planning for a private health insurance for myself only. If you currently have a plan, please share (a) which insurance company you are with, (b) your experience with them and (c) if there is any specific reason why you chose to go with them.

Would like to know from you. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello to all Independent Contractors out there,

I am considering to take a private health insurance to cover vision, dental, paramedics as I am not covered for those by my current employer. I am below 30 and planning for a private health insurance for myself only. If you currently have a plan, please share (a) which insurance company you are with, (b) your experience with them and (c) if there is any specific reason why you chose to go with them.

Would like to know from you. Thanks!
Most have pretty
high deductibles and have very low coverage for things like dental so you end up paying for the plan and paying most of the costs yourselves. You often end up taking the insurance hoping that it will cover you if you end up with a major expense. You will have to do a lot of research. I know last time I looked I realized it wasn’t worth it for me and that I would essentially be paying for everything myself if you factored in the plan and the portion the plan would cover. Many of my existing medications were not going to be covered because they were due to a predicting condition so that was also another reason I decided to go without a plan. You will come to realize what a benefit a good extended health plan is especially when it comes to a whole family. I would also try and have one spouse with a job that has a benefit plan.

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Most have pretty
high deductibles and have very low coverage for things like dental so you end up paying for the plan and paying most of the costs yourselves. You often end up taking the insurance hoping that it will cover you if you end up with a major expense. You will have to do a lot of research. I know last time I looked I realized it wasn’t worth it for me and that I would essentially be paying for everything myself if you factored in the plan and the portion the plan would cover. Many of my existing medications were not going to be covered because they were due to a predicting condition so that was also another reason I decided to go without a plan. You will come to realize what a benefit a good extended health plan is especially when it comes to a whole family. I would also try and have one spouse with a job that has a benefit plan.
Currently in the research phase now. Thanks for your response.