+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent contractor (foreign work experience)

jnl

Feb 25, 2019
Hi,

I have a concern regarding my work experience, and I've already read threads about similar issues. However, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice about my specific situation:

I worked part-time for a company for 5.5 years. The letter from my employer stated that I worked 15 hours on average (sometimes I worked over 20 hours sometimes less than 15 hrs). I understand that this can equal 2.75 years of full-time work. Apart from the company's letter, I can provide stamped tax summaries of all the years I worked for them.

I have also worked as an independent contractor for a company from the US, and the office is based in Vietnam. I intend to use this to compensate for the 3 months I need to prove my 3-year full-time experience. The letter from this company can detail my duties, hourly rate, and that I work on average 15 hours a week. (Again, the number of hours I actually work depends on the amount of work, but usually from 12-22 hrs/ week). My work is tax exempt. Apart from the letter, I can provide pay slips, and bank statements proving that I received my payments.

I have 2 questions here:

1. Would my independent contract work be counted as experience for FSW?

2. Would they question the "15 hours on average"? It is impossible to calculate exactly how many hours I worked for the first company, and the same for the second company as the hours kept changing on a monthly/ 5-week basis.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

gracefu68

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022
Is
Hi,

I have a concern regarding my work experience, and I've already read threads about similar issues. However, I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice about my specific situation:

I worked part-time for a company for 5.5 years. The letter from my employer stated that I worked 15 hours on average (sometimes I worked over 20 hours sometimes less than 15 hrs). I understand that this can equal 2.75 years of full-time work. Apart from the company's letter, I can provide stamped tax summaries of all the years I worked for them.

I have also worked as an independent contractor for a company from the US, and the office is based in Vietnam. I intend to use this to compensate for the 3 months I need to prove my 3-year full-time experience. The letter from this company can detail my duties, hourly rate, and that I work on average 15 hours a week. (Again, the number of hours I actually work depends on the amount of work, but usually from 12-22 hrs/ week). My work is tax exempt. Apart from the letter, I can provide pay slips, and bank statements proving that I received my payments.

I have 2 questions here:

1. Would my independent contract work be counted as experience for FSW?

2. Would they question the "15 hours on average"? It is impossible to calculate exactly how many hours I worked for the first company, and the same for the second company as the hours kept changing on a monthly/ 5-week basis.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Did you receive any response on this?