+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Independent Contractor for US Company

Crazychaos23

Jan 28, 2016
Hello,

Hopefully I will soon obtain permanent residency in Canada from spousal sponsorship. Currently, I am a US citizen working for a US company. My company is considering keeping allowing me to stay on doing remote work from Canada. I will be doing mostly programming work for different projects. We are considering different options and my company has asked me to put forward some options. It seems like the do not wish to obtain a work permit for Canadian employees.

If I work from Canada as an independent contractor, would there be any risks/liabilities to the company regarding Canadian taxes? From my research it sounds like they would issue me form 1099 and withhold US taxes, and then I would be able to write off my Canadian taxes and get my withholding refunded. Please advise on any legal ramifications or potential complications in doing this.

Thanks!

Reactions: Swanip

Swanip

Jan 19, 2018
Hello,
I am in a similar situation. I have posted a thread elsewhere, will keep you posted. Did you get any response. Please let me know as I am running short of time. I can talk over the phone if it is okay with you.

Last edited: