+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indepdent Contractor work experience supporting docs query

Teresa23

Jun 8, 2017
I worked at an agency as an independent contractor for their client between 2013 and 2015.

However, I closed the back account where my payroll was deposited to and that was 5 years ago since I left home to study and work here in Canada.

What documents other than employment letter and bank statements would I need to support this?

Teresa23

Jun 8, 2017
There wasn’t a contract only a “Confidentiality Bond”.

1. Is there a template for the employment letter that is satisfactory or approved by CIC?

2. I tried to make contact with the bank and was told they might not be able to retrieve my statements for that period. Would a letter or email from the branch where I opened the account suffice stating that these files were archived and would be difficult to obtain for the client?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I have never relied on bank statements to prove employment, but if you can obtain them they certainly wouldn't hurt.
If you search the IRCC website you might find a template, but the required information is:
Start and end date of employment
Hrs/week
Salary
Detailed description of job duties
Company letterhead - signed by an officer with hiring/firing power

Teresa23

Jun 8, 2017
Would the “Confidentiality Bond” suffice? It doesn’t state my wage and starting date of employment like a contract.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If you don't have a single document that satisfies IRCC's requirements, the best you can do is to provide enough documentation to cover those requirements, each reinforcing the others. I strongly suspect the Confidentiality Bond will suffice for anything on its own. But it could be a piece of your document 'collage'.

Teresa23

Jun 8, 2017
Wouldn’t I have to provide more documents if I submit the Confidentiality Bond since it states I was self employed?

Teresa23

Jun 8, 2017
I am not saying station self employed on the bond is an issue. I know self employed individuals have to show different supporting info but I am uncertain as to what additional documents might be required.