+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Incorrect date of birth

Dec 8, 2008
Hello guys,

My first post here and i am hoping someone will be able to help me out with my questions.

Basically i have been working in US on H1-B for past three years and planning on applying to Alberta PNP strategic stream for H1-B holders.

I have a sibling in Canada who just graduated from University and has already applied for immigration. My dilemma is that our date of births are wrong on our passports and other documents and we never bothered to correct em. If we go by the dates on our passports and other documents (including birth certificate) there is only a difference of 2 months between us!! (which doesnt make any sense). Now when my sibling applied for immigration he fudged my date of birth (in full knowledge of university lawyer who said it could be corrected on a later date) so that there is 1 year different between us.

Now if i apply for immigration,

1)Should i exclude my sibling from my application all together so that this date issue does not arise?

2)If i have to mention them incase it will be detected by immigration department and held against us, which date of birth should i mention in my application? If i fudge their date of birth, is it going to cause any problems for my sibling's application?

As far as the 5 points go, both of us don't need points for "relatives in Canada" category and pretty much can apply on our own. Do you guys think this can cause problems for us? What is the solution to this problem?

I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
My dilemma is that our date of births are wrong on our passports and other documents and we never bothered to correct em.

I suggest you correct the dates before you apply. Remember that "fudging" is simpler a nicer way of "lying", and lying can get you deported. It is rare, but it can happen.

Why take the risk? Why go through a process that is long, never-wrecking and expensive, knowing that you're doing something that is technically wrong?

What are your chances of succeeding? No one knows. If no one finds out, you'll get what you want. If someone finds out, you may find yourself in trouble.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree you should correct your birthdates. Something like that not matching can cause immigration to think that you are committing some kind of fraud. If you lied about your birthdate, they might think you lied about other things too.

Dec 8, 2008
Thank you guys for all your replies. I agree correcting it will be the best way forward. I guess the situation is complicated because my sibling has already filed. I have asked him to contact the lawyer and let me know so i can decide on future course.

But as an aside, i am wondering if anyone of you could answer this question.

Is it considered an offense or hiding of information if you donot mention your sibling in your application? Specially so if they are in Canada?

Reactions: Nimrod