+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Incomplete IMM 5406

2Merry

Jun 10, 2023
Hello,

I am the principal applicant (PA) on an Inland Permanent Residence application. Today my spouse and sponsor (Canadian Citizen from birth) received a notice that my application was incomplete, and I received a notice to log-in to the portal to see my application status.

The letter (delivered by email) to my husband stated that only the IMM 5406 for the Principal Applicant (me) was missing or incomplete. I have read and re-read and re-read the instructions, and don't understand. Perhaps I completely misunderstand the instructions, and am asking if anyone can help me understand.
- I do not have any dependents (no children, no dependent family members). I am the only person who needs to submit this form -- is that correct?
- I did not list my husbands adult children on the form as they are all Canadian citizens (born in Canada) and none are dependent. Should I have listed them as "step-children"?
- On this form I include the information about my mother (alive, age 91), my father (died in 1984), my spouse (Canadian citizen), my half-siblings (all alive and not Canadian), even though none of these people are trying to come to Canada -- is this correct?
- At age 74, my mother married a man age 82. Before their marriage, that man had adult children of a different marriage. In 2014, my mother's husband died. My mother and this man never had children of their own. I did not list this man's children on my original IMM 5406 as step-siblings since the marriage ended 9 years ago when he died. Am I supposed to list that step-father (died 2014), and if so, where? Am I required to list that man's children as step-siblings?

- In the email to my husband, they supplied a PDF of the IMM 5406. Do we complete and upload a new PDF, or update the existing one on the portal?

I logged in to my online application portal. In the application portal it shows that IMM 5406 is "Complete" [in a friendly, green color].

Instead it shows that my IMM 0008 is "Incomplete", along with almost half of the supporting documents (IMM 1344, 5532, 5533, passport copies, NOA, and many others...).
- Do I simply upload these supporting documents again?
- Do I need to print and sign again with new signature dates then upload again the 1344, 5532 and 5533?

Thanks to any and all who can clarify any of these points for me. I feel like my submission is very close to being accepted, but that I am missing some basic point. Your help is greatly appreciated.

2Merry

Jun 10, 2023
I keep searching through the posts and threads on this topic -- Are my mother and siblings required to submit a 5406 as well as me (the PA), although none are dependent nor coming to Canada?

I would greatly appreciate any clarification anyone has. Thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I keep searching through the posts and threads on this topic -- Are my mother and siblings required to submit a 5406 as well as me (the PA), although none are dependent nor coming to Canada?

I would greatly appreciate any clarification anyone has. Thanks in advance.
No.

Reactions: YVR123

aiqbal96

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-04-2020
Med's Done....
18-02-2020
Hi, what exactly did they say in the email that your husband got? I am the sponsor for my wife and I got an email yesterday saying "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada –Additional Info Required" and asked us to fill the IMM5406 again and submit with webform. Also how are you seeing your application? We are not able to view our application after we submitted it.

2Merry

Jun 10, 2023
Hi, what exactly did they say in the email that your husband got? I am the sponsor for my wife and I got an email yesterday saying "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada –Additional Info Required" and asked us to fill the IMM5406 again and submit with webform. Also how are you seeing your application? We are not able to view our application after we submitted it.
It exactly said (emphasis exactly as in the letter),

"Your submission has been deemed incomplete. Please review the list of incomplete/missing items identified below:
For the Principal Applicant - <PA's Name Here>

• IMM 5406 Additional Family Information (for Principal Applicant): The Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) is missing or incomplete. Please provide a current, completed and signed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the Principal Applicant and all dependents aged 18 and over, whether accompanying or not. Each individual must complete and sign their own form.
    Sections A, B and C must be fully completed for this form to be considered complete. If you are unable to provide any of the information for any individual listed in section A, B and C, you must provide an explanation. You must submit the most recent version of this form. https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5406e.pdf
As it does not meet the requirements for processing, your submission and documents are being returned to you and will not be processed or put in the queue for processing.

Should you resubmit your application, and if it meets the requirements for processing, it will then enter the processing queue based on the date of its re-submission.

Please consult the application guide for more detailed information. If you intend to resubmit your application, please review all attached documents and ensure that you are using the most up to date versions of the Document Checklist and immigration forms."

There is no information in this letter about submission by webform. BUT, in addition to this letter to the Sponsor (spouse), an email was sent to the PA (me) that said, "This email is to notify you that the status of your permanent residence application <name here> has been updated. Please log in to your IRCC Permanent Residence Portal account to view of make updates to your application. Further details on the status update of your application, including any actions that need to be taken, will be sent in a separate email. "

In the Portal I can again see the application, with status "Returned". It can be viewed as before submitting it, except with many of the forms and files saying, "This document is incomplete, please review and update the document. ". Notices like this appear on a dozen things such as the copies of our passports. This 'incomplete' notice does not appear on the 5406 in the Portal.

aiqbal96

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-04-2020
Med's Done....
18-02-2020
That is so weird. Not sure what they want you to fill out. Also did you fill out in browser or adobe acrobat application. It seems that filling the form in browser for some reason cause it to not work properly and not show some options like when you choose your status as married it should show a checkbox about you being present at the wedding ceremony but with browser I was not seeing it.

2Merry

Jun 10, 2023
That is so weird. Not sure what they want you to fill out. Also did you fill out in browser or adobe acrobat application. It seems that filling the form in browser for some reason cause it to not work properly and not show some options like when you choose your status as married it should show a checkbox about you being present at the wedding ceremony but with browser I was not seeing it.
I'm getting the idea that something like this happened. When I originally submitted, it allowed me to download a full copy of the application, which I never looked at. I had put the copies of all items on my computer. Now I opened the original full copy of the application, and I can see that the documents in that copy look different from the ones saved to my computer.

Peace2023

Star Member
Feb 14, 2023
@2Merry

-> you must fill 5406 form for yourself and list all your parents, children, spouse and siblings regardless whether they Canadian citizens or PR

-> you must also fill 5406 form on behalf of any family member included in your application who are 18+ and who are not already Canadian citizens or PR

when did you submit your application?

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
&quot;Decision made&quot;: 1 April 2015
This is an online form.
I have had an application returned for the same reason. I have no button to "add family member" and the form is remaining incomplete and I cannot submit.
Something is wrong with the system!!

sammyishere

Dec 5, 2023
I applied for a spouse sponsorship overseas on December 01, 2023; after submitting my application to the online PR portal, I downloaded it and realized I made two stupid mistakes on two forms.
The first one is that I forgot to enter my father's place of birth in imm5406 and left it blank; the second one is in imm5669; I forgot to type "None " in military service. I do have a UCI number from my previous application. Should I send the Webform and explain all these mistakes before they open my application? In the imm5533 form, I mentioned I did not serve military service, and in imm5669, I entered my father's place of birth correctly; the officer will look at those and issue AOR or return my application as incomplete.
I appreciate your help on this matter.

w8ing4visa

Star Member
Nov 15, 2023
I applied for a spouse sponsorship overseas on December 01, 2023; after submitting my application to the online PR portal, I downloaded it and realized I made two stupid mistakes on two forms.
The first one is that I forgot to enter my father's place of birth in imm5406 and left it blank; the second one is in imm5669; I forgot to type "None " in military service. I do have a UCI number from my previous application. Should I send the Webform and explain all these mistakes before they open my application? In the imm5533 form, I mentioned I did not serve military service, and in imm5669, I entered my father's place of birth correctly; the officer will look at those and issue AOR or return my application as incomplete.
I appreciate your help on this matter.
The officer more likely return your application, I would suggest wait for them to return the application, when they return the application they also send the letter, once you get the letter read it carefully and correct the mistakes and then resubmit!

sammyishere

Dec 5, 2023
The officer more likely return your application, I would suggest wait for them to return the application, when they return the application they also send the letter, once you get the letter read it carefully and correct the mistakes and then resubmit!
Thanks for your reply, so you think sending a Webform with explanation will not help?