+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income Tax Act and Employment

pewpewCA

Aug 15, 2016
Hello, this is my first post here ;D

So I've finally hit my residency requirements and am looking to apply for citizenship, but I have some issues I'd like to sort out so that I won't get my application returned to me.

I have been a student until now and have had no income, but according to the government's site, I need to have filed income taxes for the 4 years prior to my application. There is a box on the citizenship application form though that asks if I was required to file taxes. Would I be able to just check NO and move on? Since it may be relevant, I have been in Quebec for my entire time in Canada. If I file taxes tomorrow for all four years, would I be able to apply for citizenship immediately or would I need confirmation from Revenue Quebec first?

Also regarding this, I held an unpaid position for a very short period of time that I list on my resume but this position was never officially documented. Should I put this on my employment information?

Thank you so much if you read through this all. Any and all help would be so great!

tester78546

Dec 9, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pewpewCA said:
I held an unpaid position for a very short period of time that I list on my resume but this position was never officially documented.
This is illegal. Now it's up to you what to do with that.

pewpewCA

Aug 15, 2016
tester78546 said:
This is illegal. Now it's up to you what to do with that.
It's illegal to be doing unpaid work for a start-up at its very beginning stages? This was when we were determining if its viable at all and copyrighting the company name.

pewpewCA

Aug 15, 2016
allawy86 said:
I used to be student until 2015. Did my taxes every year even without having income.
Yeah it was a mistake but I can't go back in time and do it over. Do you have any input for my situation now?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may see if it can be put as a voluntary job by contacting the then employer. Else, put those period as job hunting.
For income tax filing, you can file those now and better to wait for the notice of assessment from CRA and then apply for citizenship. Even if you have to wait for 2-3 weeks or even more, better to put the records straight and then apply.

pewpewCA

Aug 15, 2016
ajithpl said:
You may see if it can be put as a voluntary job by contacting the then employer. Else, put those period as job hunting.
For income tax filing, you can file those now and better to wait for the notice of assessment from CRA and then apply for citizenship. Even if you have to wait for 2-3 weeks or even more, better to put the records straight and then apply.
I'll definitely see if that is possible.

In terms of receiving a notice of assessment, do you think I should wait for both of them (CRA + Revenue Quebec)? Living in Quebec, in regards to taxes, seems to add a layer of unnecessary difficulty for which I can't seem to find resources.