+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inadmissible - TRP/TRV - US resident question

SnakeEyes

Apr 30, 2015
I'm looking to join my friends in Canada for a week this summer. I'm currently inadmissible due to an <4 year old DUI that resulted from a traffic stop for a cracked tail light here in the USA. In looking over the CIC site it seems what I need is a TRP (temporary resident permit).

According to english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp "If you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, the visa office responsible for your country or region may have its own application form for temporary resident permits. You should check the visa office to find out about its specific application procedures." USA is visa-exempt but all attempts to contact LA/NY for an answer on if they have their own application went unanswered or canned response linking back to this very page.

Does anyone know if they do and is it online?

It then says "Otherwise, you should submit an application for a temporary resident visa along with supporting documents to explain why you are inadmissible and why it may be justified for you to enter Canada." So if I'm reading this and the previous section right, one can apply for a TRV and be issued a TRP? If not, what's the proper form for my situation?

Does anyone know what to do regarding the fee. I've seen elsewhere that a few years ago they can waive the fee for the first one-visit TRP issued. Do I just submit the TRV application without payment or do I send the possible payment with a note requesting the fee be waived and that the payment send is only in the event the fee is not waived?

One final question. In the event I don't have this taken care of in time, has anyone had experience or know of someone that has requested at the border or POE?