+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inadmissibility to US effect on Canadian work permit application

lyoko

Dec 29, 2013
So a few months ago, I was denied entry into the US and was allowed to withdraw my application for admission. I was a bona fide visitor but US customs apparently wasn't convinced of it, and they thought that I was going there to look for work due to a miscommunication with one of my hosts (people who I'd be staying with during my vacation). This said host is actually coming down with a mental condition and this was the source of the miscommunication. Anyway, I spent about 20 minutes inside of the US customs office being interviewed/interrogated, all my answers were typed onto a sheet of paper, and I had my application for admission withdrawn (instead of an expedited removal). I was also given a copy of this interview so that I can refer back to it when applying for a US visa. The officer told me that an expedited removal carries a 5 year ban, but an application for admission withdrawn doesn't carry any penalties except for the fact that I can't use the US visa waiver program anymore.

How is this going to affect my upcoming work permit application? The work permit application asks if I've ever been refused admission to any country. Now I have to answer "yes". I was not going to the US looking for work. Since then, my hosts have taken the guy who answered the phone to get a legitimate doctor's note which states that he's coming down with early Alzheimer's or something. On top of that, I've lived in other countries (including Canada) in the recent past, obeyed the terms of my visa, and left before they expired. I've never overstayed any visa or broken any immigration laws, and if the US gave me a chance to vacation there, I'd have done the same. Not only that but my criminal record is also clean with absolutely no arrests, convictions or even traffic offenses (I can't even drive). Is this going to make my application more difficult now? If so, then how much more difficult is it going to be?

spyro02

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2014
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
You have two options:
1) Check no on the application. While unlikely that this information has been shared with Canada, if asked, you can say that because you were allowed to withdraw your application, you did not think you had been refused admission and it would therefore not be relevant. One of the manuals they use will tell them not to hold it against you.
2) Simply check yes and explain that the US allowed you to withdraw your application on <enter date>. No explanation necessary. As long as everything else is in order, there shouldn't be any issues.

Even if you had been removed from the US or any other country (other than Canada), it would not be an inadmissibility in itself. So just keep your answer as short and straight to the point as possible and leave out the rest of the story that's not relevant.

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
It would be better to mention "Yes" and state that you have withdrawn the application. They MIGHT probably call you for an interview to know the reason for withdrawal.

Bottom line, I dont see an issue and if you have the required papers, then your WP should be approved easily.