+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In which province or territory does _________ intend to reside?

achillies91

Dec 7, 2016
While filling out details post ITA, the following question is being asked in the application/profile details:

In which province or territory does_________________ intend to reside?

Can I select Quebec as the desired province and Montreal as desired city, I am having an admission from Montreal based university so planning to reside over there. Can I do so?

Please provide suggestions.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
achillies91 said:
While filling out details post ITA, the following question is being asked in the application/profile details:

Can I select Quebec as the desired province and Montreal as desired city, I am having an admission from Montreal based university so planning to reside over there. Can I do so?

Quebec is not participating in EE and so you cannot select Quebec.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
achillies91 said:

Be careful that you do nothing that could be considered as "misrepresentation". If you already have an admission to a Montreal university, it would be easy for IRCC to demonstrate that Quebec was your intended destination all the time. You may need to reconsider your plans.

canadacal

Mar 31, 2017
zardoz said:
Be careful that you do nothing that could be considered as "misrepresentation". If you already have an admission to a Montreal university, it would be easy for IRCC to demonstrate that Quebec was your intended destination all the time. You may need to reconsider your plans.
Yeah agree. I am in the same situation btw. Doing my MBA in Montreal. I selected Montreal and Quebec for this question because I wanted to avoid any type of misrepresentation. I'm alright with the fact that my PR application will most certainly get rejected as I will be residing in Quebec. It is what it is. I did however provide a LOE along with my application. Don't think it'll help though as the rules are quite clear.

johnmunch

Nov 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's say someone has got PR and then applied to multiple universities, including quebec ones, and ultimately chooses the quebec university. Can this cause problems afterwards for e.g. pr renewal/citizenship application? As I understand PRs are free to study "anywhere" in canada. Is that correct?

canadacal

Mar 31, 2017
johnmunch said:
Let's say someone has got PR and then applied to multiple universities, including quebec ones, and ultimately chooses the quebec university. Can this cause problems afterwards for e.g. pr renewal/citizenship application? As I understand PRs are free to study "anywhere" in canada. Is that correct?
Yeah but it depends on your PR stream. If for example you are in the PNP stream, then you may have to spend a certain amount of time in that particular province. This is just what I read somewhere on this forum. If you are in the FSW or CEC stream and if you've already received your PR then you are free to move around and study anywhere.

Experts can correct me if I'm wrong.

achillies91

Dec 7, 2016
zardoz said:
Thank you for the response. Yeah, you are correct! I am planning to mention Quebec and Montreal as the place where I would like to live in. I think it`s going to lead into a rejection but as you said, it's good to be honest.

Overall, I took the IELTS 3 times and I got the required score for CLB 9 in the third attempt and it`s all gonna be futile because of two different systems for Quebec and Canada!

"Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and

(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province."

achillies91

Dec 7, 2016
canadacal said:
Yeah agree. I am in the same situation btw. Doing my MBA in Montreal. I selected Montreal and Quebec for this question because I wanted to avoid any type of misrepresentation. I'm alright with the fact that my PR application will most certainly get rejected as I will be residing in Quebec. It is what it is. I did however provide a LOE along with my application. Don't think it'll help though as the rules are quite clear.

I hope things go well with your application. Good luck to you!

johnmunch

Nov 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
achillies91 said:
Thank you for the response. Yeah, you are correct! I am planning to mention Quebec and Montreal as the place where I would like to live in. I think it`s going to lead into a rejection but as you said, it's good to be honest.

Overall, I took the IELTS 3 times and I got the required score for CLB 9 in the third attempt and it`s all gonna be futile because of two different systems for Quebec and Canada!

"Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and

(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province."

Just curious, If and.it most probably will lead to rejection, what are your plans then? Apply for CSQ once you're in Quebec and then apply for pr?

canadacal

Mar 31, 2017
achillies91 said:
I hope things go well with your application. Good luck to you!
Thank you sir! Wishing the same for you.

Thankfully, we are in quite a good spot regardless.

johnmunch

Nov 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadacal said:
Yeah but it depends on your PR stream. If for example you are in the PNP stream, then you may have to spend a certain amount of time in that particular province. This is just what I read somewhere on this forum. If you are in the FSW or CEC stream and if you've already received your PR then you are free to move around and study anywhere.

Experts can correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for your previous response Canadacal. WHat is your take on the following:

WHat if one gets PR, does soft landing outiside of Quebec, goes back to home country, applies to Quebec universities, comes back to Canada a few months before the start of the academic year, and begins her studies? Can that become an issue? ?

canadacal

Mar 31, 2017
johnmunch said:
Thanks for your previous response Canadacal. WHat is your take on the following:

WHat if one gets PR, does soft landing outiside of Quebec, goes back to home country, applies to Quebec universities, comes back to Canada a few months before the start of the academic year, and begins her studies? Can that become an issue? ?
It would depend on your stream. PNP is different from FSW and CEC. For PNP, as I said earlier, you'll prolly have to spend a certain amount of time in the province that has nominated you and there might be certain conditions. For the other 2, you're chillin.

johnmunch

Nov 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadacal said:
It would depend on your stream. PNP is different from FSW and CEC. For PNP, as I said earlier, you'll prolly have to spend a certain amount of time in the province that has nominated you and there might be certain conditions. For the other 2, you're chillin.
Yes sorry I was referring to FSW, not PNP. Cheers for that.