+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

in need of clarification on what to put as intended occupation

df

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
I currently work as a medical radiation technologist and a medical sonographer. Both are occupations listed on the NOC. However my qualification as a radiation technologist is a BSc while that as a medical sonographer is not formal. I am in the process of applying under the FSW category and I have attained a WES evaluation on my BSc, which indicates my BSc is equivalent to canadian qualification. WES does not review qualifications attained that were not formal.
My question is, do I have to put medical radiation technologist as my intended occupation only or can I put both or can I put medical sonographer alone?
Once in canada I do intend to work as a medical sonographer primarily. I am in the process of sitting sonography exams in Canada as I have been accepted by the sonography canada board to sit their exams.

df

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
A follow up. I meet the NOC qualifications in both occupations and as I said I have been accepted to pursue licensing in canada as medical sonographer, although i do not have formal education in sonography. The thing is both professions are allied medical fields and once I had attained a Bsc in radiation technology I did not need to do formal education in sonography. I just want to know if it will benefit me to list both as intended occupations and if I have to list one, do I have to list the one that was evaluated by WES.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
df said:
A follow up. I meet the NOC qualifications in both occupations and as I said I have been accepted to pursue licensing in canada as medical sonographer, although i do not have formal education in sonography. The thing is both professions are allied medical fields and once I had attained a Bsc in radiation technology I did not need to do formal education in sonography. I just want to know if it will benefit me to list both as intended occupations and if I have to list one, do I have to list the one that was evaluated by WES.
First of all, you CANNOT list two NOCs as primary NOCs. It is an automatic rejection. You need to choose one. Also, whatever NOC you choose, the job duties you performed have to clearly align with the NOC you choose. From that standpoint, if your same job meets job descriptions for two NOCs, you will have to pick one that your duties are most similar to. This will probably be the deciding factor for you in which NOC you can choose to apply under. For example, if 70% of your job descriptions are for radiation technologist and only 30% is for sonographer, and you list your primary NOC as sonographer then it will result in a rejection.

Next, your education does not have to be in the same field as your nominated NOC in most cases. Your WES qualification will only help you get points for education in your case. As such, you can apply under sonography if it meets the criteria explained above.

Another thing to consider is that once you move to Canada with a PR, you can work in any field you want. This means, even if you choose radiation technologist as your primary NOC, you will be able to work as sonographer once you move to Canada.

So take all of these points into consideration in deciding what's the most appropriate course for you.

df

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
thanks for the reply. Although i had intended to put both occupations on the general form as current and intended occupations, i had every intention of putting radiography as the nominated occupation (3215) on my application (envelope).

mabmabs

Jun 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5 july 2013
AOR Received.
PER 4 Oct 2013
df said:
I currently work as a medical radiation technologist and a medical sonographer. Both are occupations listed on the NOC. However my qualification as a radiation technologist is a BSc while that as a medical sonographer is not formal. I am in the process of applying under the FSW category and I have attained a WES evaluation on my BSc, which indicates my BSc is equivalent to canadian qualification. WES does not review qualifications attained that were not formal.
My question is, do I have to put medical radiation technologist as my intended occupation only or can I put both or can I put medical sonographer alone?
Once in canada I do intend to work as a medical sonographer primarily. I am in the process of sitting sonography exams in Canada as I have been accepted by the sonography canada board to sit their exams.
Indicate your occupation for which your are applying under NOC.. If Medical sonographer (3216) then mention it, otherwise medical radiation technologist..
You must be knowing under which NOC are you applying for..
You can not choose both NOC under one application..

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
df said:
thanks for the reply. Although i had intended to put both occupations on the general form as current and intended occupations, i had every intention of putting radiography as the nominated occupation (3215) on my application (envelope).
Just so you know, your intended occupation has to be in the same NOC that you are applying under. You cannot put sonographer as the intended occupation if you apply under radiographer. Why would they give you PR under NOC ABC if you intend to work under NOC DEF? So regardless of what your actual plans are you should really just choose one NOC and stick with it throughout the application.

df

Star Member
Nov 7, 2014
ok. So for current occupation should i only put radiographer or can i put both since i am currently employed as both and my employer letter does mention that i am employed as both.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
df said:
ok. So for current occupation should i only put radiographer or can i put both since i am currently employed as both and my employer letter does mention that i am employed as both.
For current and intended occupation put the same NOC, just one. Put radiographer, cheers.

Gorur

Apr 15, 2018
Hi all,

Hope everything is well, I am self filling the form IMM 0008 , I need a clarification regarding Intended occupation. What do I fill if I am working outside Canada in the respective field.

Looking forward for reply.

Julia.jenn4

Star Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hello I studied pharmacy in India and industrial drafting in Montreal what’s my intended occupation and current occupation

ultra15

Nov 13, 2018
Hi. I wonder what happened to your application. We are having the same case. Thanks.