+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-laws travelling to Canada

shashidhar_sm

May 21, 2015
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
07-07-2017
Hi,

My in-laws are visiting us to help my wife and I with our newborn son. The plan was to arrive in May, well before the delivery but the airlines moved the flight schedule twice. Flight is confirmed now for the 2nd of August.

I have been reading the rules around definition of “immediate family” and I still do not understand if my in-laws are allowed to visit us: Does it matter if my wife is an adult and is not dependent on her parents? Are they considered “immediate family” if wife is not dependent on them?

I read here that travel is not allowed for birth of a grandchild (link: https://www.immigration.ca/covid-19-new-specific-guidance-on-who-is-allowed-to-travel-to-canada) and I am not sure how recent this information is.

Much appreciate it if someone can shed light on this. Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to look at the official website in canada.ca.

Even jddd's mother was allowed to board her flight with her TRV and entered Canada recently.

Reactions: jddd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My in-laws are visiting us to help my wife and I with our newborn son. The plan was to arrive in May, well before the delivery but the airlines moved the flight schedule twice. Flight is confirmed now for the 2nd of August.

I have been reading the rules around definition of “immediate family” and I still do not understand if my in-laws are allowed to visit us: Does it matter if my wife is an adult and is not dependent on her parents? Are they considered “immediate family” if wife is not dependent on them?

I read here that travel is not allowed for birth of a grandchild (link: https://www.immigration.ca/covid-19-new-specific-guidance-on-who-is-allowed-to-travel-to-canada) and I am not sure how recent this information is.

Not sure your August flight will actually leave. If they have a TRV or supervisa they can enter. They will need to bring proof that they are a parent of a PR or citizen. Because you have a newborn which is considered a vulnerable person they can't stay with you for quarantine unless they are segregated in somthing like a basement suite or in their own Airbnb. If your wife is still pregnant it is even more important for your family to have no contact with your in-laws before they are done their 14 day quarantine. Pregnant women are more more susceptible (so arw newborns) to bad outcomes with covid and both you and your wife could need to enter a hospital or doctors office at any time so you need to make sure you are covid free. Maybe they can take a car or uber or have one of your friends/family pick them up and drop them off at the quarantine location while still social distancing, wearing an n95 and driving with the windows open and sitting on opposite sides of the car.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure your August flight will actually leave. If they have a TRV or supervisa they can enter. They will need to bring proof that they are a parent of a PR or citizen. Because you have a newborn which is considered a vulnerable person they can't stay with you for quarantine unless they are segregated in somthing like a basement suite or in their own Airbnb. If your wife is still pregnant it is even more important for your family to have no contact with your in-laws before they are done their 14 day quarantine. Pregnant women are more more susceptible (so arw newborns) to bad outcomes with covid and both you and your wife could need to enter a hospital or doctors office at any time so you need to make sure you are covid free. Maybe they can take a car or uber or have one of your friends/family pick them up and drop them off at the quarantine location while still social distancing, wearing an n95 and driving with the windows open and sitting on opposite sides of the car.
In the light that a newborn is allowed to board a transpacific flight (which you considered a high exposure of covid), it wouldn't matter that the inlaws came into contact with their adult child and their grandchild during the quarantine.

Reactions: iglu

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
In the light that a newborn is allowed to board a transpacific flight (which you considered a high exposure of covid), it wouldn't matter that the inlaws came into contact with their adult child and their grandchild during the quarantine.
Its all about taking responsibility. How will you feel if the poster comes back on here and lets everyone know that the in laws did not isolate and guess what the adult child and the new born caught the virus.

shashidhar_sm

May 21, 2015
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
07-07-2017
Its all about taking responsibility. How will you feel if the poster comes back on here and lets everyone know that the in laws did not isolate and guess what the adult child and the new born caught the virus.
Yes, and I don’t want to be that poster. I have set up a quarantine area in my basement and it is completely isolated; I’ll be delivering their food/groceries/essentials at the doorstep.

And to answer other questions: my wife delivered in June, so she isn’t pregnant now. And yes, while the stats seem to indicate children are not affected the same way adults are, we aren’t taking chances and mom+child will not be anywhere closer than a Skype call with the in-laws for the quarantine period.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, and I don’t want to be that poster. I have set up a quarantine area in my basement and it is completely isolated; I’ll be delivering their food/groceries/essentials at the doorstep.

And to answer other questions: my wife delivered in June, so she isn’t pregnant now. And yes, while the stats seem to indicate children are not affected the same way adults are, we aren’t taking chances and mom+child will not be anywhere closer than a Skype call with the in-laws for the quarantine period.
Newborns are more affected. And although the majority of children, not babies, are usually less effected there have been quite a few children who have died of covid or just got serious ill. Any type of virus or cold effects babies more seriously especially those under 6 months. They just don’t have the muscles, lung capacity or reserves to deal with most illnesses. When filling out the quarantine information you are asked to list any vulnerable person in the home which can include the elderly, pregnant woman, newborns and anyone with preexisiting health issues.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-in-babies-and-children/art-20484405

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/health/texas-infants-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If parents decide that they need to fly home and risk exposing their child that is their choice. That is very different than having methods to prevent having you newborn being exposed to covid. Same things as if you are immunocompromised and choose to fly and risk getting covid. It doesn’t mean that your visiting family should expose the immunocompromised person living in Canada by not quarantining for 14 days.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If parents decide that they need to fly home and risk exposing their child that is their choice. That is very different than having methods to prevent having you newborn being exposed to covid. Same things as if you are immunocompromised and choose to fly and risk getting covid. It doesn’t mean that your visiting family should expose the immunocompromised person living in Canada by not quarantining for 14 days.
Came into contact can take two forms - 1) Virtual via the internet, phone; 2) Personal. It's their choice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
do not stress too much about it. just follow the protocols . none of the celebrities have died of this virus . all the other deaths have been certified Covid deaths.
There have been some celebrities who have died of covid. Not that it matters and what determines who is a celebrity is debatable. Yes follow protocols but people should know that pregnant women and infants are considered at higher risk and whether you have vulnerable people in your house that is one of the questions people are asked in their quarantine plan. Couples who are expecting or others that need to visit doctors or the hospital have to be even more cautious about exposure to covid because they will likely be around immunocompromised people or more vulnerable people at the doctor’s office or hospital.

Reactions: shashidhar_sm

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can’t come into contact with someone virtually.
I mean people can contact others virtually. Also, how do you / they identify who are immunocompromised? Are they wearing something so that others know they are immunocompromised?

Last edited:

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Just commenting to confirm that my mother arrived as a visitir on June 9. She had a photocopy of my PR card and my birth certificate to prove she is immediate family. She also had a quarantine plan stating she would be staying with us with letters from our employers confirming we are working from home until the end of the year and that groceries for the whole family for 2 whole weeks will be purchased before she is picked up from the airport. No letters from the IRCC/CBSA were required.

congratulations on the baby.

Anita6336

Star Member
Mar 2, 2015
Hi,

Hey hi, may i know when did you apply for your in laws Visitors visa and when did you get it. I am a new mom too delivered in june and my parents visa application is still on hold.

shashidhar_sm

May 21, 2015
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
07-07-2017
Hey hi, may i know when did you apply for your in laws Visitors visa and when did you get it. I am a new mom too delivered in june and my parents visa application is still on hold.
We applied last year, and they visited us once already. I believe new applications are on hold now.