+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-land Common law sponsorship with open work permit - Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union needed?

Mar 2, 2021
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are applying for Inland common law sponsorship, I'm the principal applicant, she is the sponsor, with the open work permit as I am currently on a valid work permit.

I am looking for some clarification on whether we need to provide a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union form? I've seen in a few places that it is only needed if you have a co-signer but different information in other places.

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are applying for Inland common law sponsorship, I'm the principal applicant, she is the sponsor, with the open work permit as I am currently on a valid work permit.

I am looking for some clarification on whether we need to provide a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union form? I've seen in a few places that it is only needed if you have a co-signer but different information in other places.

Thank you!
What do the instructions say? Personal view, it can't hurt to include one but won't be decisive.

How long have you been residing together and how good is your documentation demonstrating the _start_ of your period living together? This trips a lot of people up. (And no, the statutory declaration won't solve the issue if your 12 month minimum continuous residing together in a joint household is not solid).

ghenny

Star Member
Feb 7, 2019
What do the instructions say? Personal view, it can't hurt to include one but won't be decisive.

How long have you been residing together and how good is your documentation demonstrating the _start_ of your period living together? This trips a lot of people up. (And no, the statutory declaration won't solve the issue if your 12 month minimum continuous residing together in a joint household is not solid).
Hi Armoured. Sorry to high jack this thread but i have some concerns to ask. Im living with my boyfriend for a year now. And Im under implied status( visitor visa) and we’re planning to apply pr+owp for commonlaw.

My question is that, can i apply owp together with my pr even if im implied or i have to wait for my visitor record before i apply? And just send my pr application alone.

Your answer is highly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance. Be safe

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Armoured. Sorry to high jack this thread but i have some concerns to ask. Im living with my boyfriend for a year now. And Im under implied status( visitor visa) and we’re planning to apply pr+owp for commonlaw.

My question is that, can i apply owp together with my pr even if im implied or i have to wait for my visitor record before i apply? And just send my pr application alone.

Your answer is highly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance. Be safe
I don't know the answer, hopefully others will know.