+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In India since past 1 year, will this cause any problems for me?

supergirl007

Apr 8, 2019
I have been staying in India since last April 2022, I will be going back to Canada next month.

I got my COPR in July 2019.

will it cause any problems for me for citizenship? Will they let me enter Canada?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I have been staying in India since last April 2022, I will be going back to Canada next month.

will it cause any problems for me for citizenship? Will they let me enter Canada?
Depends upon the validity of your eCOPR? Don't you have PR card? If not you have to apply for eTA.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019

I'm assuming you have already landed and possess a PR Card.

You will be allowed to enter Canada.

The rest depends on how much time you have spent outside Canada since your landing (NOT when you got COPR). You could run into issues if you are not able to spend at least 730 days in Canada within the first five years since you became a PR (= landed).

For citizenship, the requirement is to spend 3 years in Canada in the 5 years preceding your citizenship application.

supergirl007

Apr 8, 2019
I'm assuming you have already landed and possess a PR Card.

You will be allowed to enter Canada.

The rest depends on how much time you have spent outside Canada since your landing (NOT when you got COPR). You could run into issues if you are not able to spend at least 730 days in Canada within the first five years since you became a PR (= landed).

For citizenship, the requirement is to spend 3 years in Canada in the 5 years preceding your citizenship application.
I have spend almost one year (from April 2022). Since 2019 I have been in Canada only. I have stayed 980 days something like that. I was told that we had to stay 6 months in Canada and 6 months out of country, I cannot stay outside Canada more than 6 months. Is that true?

lossada

Sep 5, 2017

stay there, it means you don't need to be in Canada, by any reason.
Bonne chance

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I have spend almost one year (from April 2022). Since 2019 I have been in Canada only. I have stayed 980 days something like that. I was told that we had to stay 6 months in Canada and 6 months out of country, I cannot stay outside Canada more than 6 months. Is that true?
No its not. You are a PR and not on supervisa. You need to spend maximum time in Canada. Read the communication from IRCC again, you need to spend 3 out of 5 years in Canada in order to become eligible for citizenship.

Reactions: YVR123

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There's no such requirement. To maintain your PR residency obligation, it's 2 years in five years in Canada and for citizenship it's 3 years in 5. The 6 month in, 6 months out is a fallacy.

Reactions: Taran D and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
whoever told you that was wrong. You may need to stay 6 months out of the year to maintain the requirement for your proviencal health coverage. But that's not related to meeting RO for your PR.

Reactions: Taran D