+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada vs. Outside Canada PR Application

Jeff1

Feb 6, 2021
My wife applied for Permanent Residence via Family Sponsorship from In Canada in February. I'm a Canadian citizen working in Canada and I sponsored her.

We have not received any information that the application has begun processing, is it possible to change the application from In Canada to a Family Sponsorship Application from outside of Canada? My wife may need to return to United States for family reasons later in the year, initially we hoped the application would be finished processing in or around the one year mark, but we're seeing that the queue is way backed up, I recently saw that applications from Oct 2019 are just being finished now. Because she may have to make an extended trip back to the US within the next 12 months, we thought it would probably be best to have the application changed to outside Canada just in case. Is there a way to change this, or would we be able to withdraw and resubmit the application from outside Canada?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife applied for Permanent Residence via Family Sponsorship from In Canada in February. I'm a Canadian citizen working in Canada and I sponsored her.

We have not received any information that the application has begun processing, is it possible to change the application from In Canada to a Family Sponsorship Application from outside of Canada? My wife may need to return to United States for family reasons later in the year, initially we hoped the application would be finished processing in or around the one year mark, but we're seeing that the queue is way backed up, I recently saw that applications from Oct 2019 are just being finished now. Because she may have to make an extended trip back to the US within the next 12 months, we thought it would probably be best to have the application changed to outside Canada just in case. Is there a way to change this, or would we be able to withdraw and resubmit the application from outside Canada?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff
Unfortunately it's not possible to switch an application from inland to outland (or the other way around). You would need to withdraw the inland application and submit a brand new application outland. Yes, you can certainly withdraw the inland application and submit the new outland application once you are outside of Canada.

There's really two ways to go about this. One would be to keep the inland application running as long as possible and hope processing times speed up and it's approved before you go. The other would be to withdraw the inland application now and submit an outland application now (you can do that within Canada) and switch over to the new application now.

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Hi, I got a request to resend the pics for PR card after 20 days of landing and coming back to US. Anyone in same situation? Do new pics have same requirement as COPR? Do I need to send via Canadian post or just FedEx it. Just want to check if they are looking to see if I am in Canada