+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada as visitor, I will receive OWP in January, can I start to look for a job in December?

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
As per title, is it legal for me to send my CV to Canadian employers while being in Canada as visitor and while my OWP is being processed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As per title, is it legal for me to send my CV to Canadian employers while being in Canada as visitor and while my OWP is being processed?
It's certainly legal. You should make sure you are honest about your status in Canada and indicate that you expect to have an open work permit approved in January.

Reactions: YVR123

sktelectric

Dec 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc - ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-03-2014
IELTS Request
sent along with application
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
22-09-2014
Hi There,
I am currently a citizen in canada right now. I am asking for my brother who got his visitor visa approved and would like to convert to work permit and start working. wondering if you can share any insights of how to get the vistor visa converted to work permit ?

Thanks in Advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi There,
I am currently a citizen in canada right now. I am asking for my brother who got his visitor visa approved and would like to convert to work permit and start working. wondering if you can share any insights of how to get the vistor visa converted to work permit ?

Thanks in Advance.
He needs to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer needs to get an approved LMIA. Then your brother can apply for a closed work permit tied to that employer.

The OP is being sponsored by their spouse through family class and therefore qualifies for an open work permit. Your brother does not.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi There,

Thanks in Advance.
As mentioned by @scylla, he cannot convert a visa into a work permit. He needs to get a job offer with an approved LMIA. The LMIA proves that no Canadian, PR or person with work authorization can do the job, only your brother. Then with the LMIA, he can apply for a closed work permit showing his work experience, education, language etc. So it can take a lot of time to secure LMIA and wait for closed work permit.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi There,

Thanks in Advance.
Would also add to other posts that even with a job offer from an employer with an LMIA he isn’t guaranteed a WP. Unless he works in certain fields there isn’t a huge demand for labour and the economy is facing significant hurdles. There are literally hundreds of international students who line up for job openings in many cities. The whole process could also take 6 months with no guarantees of approval. The better option would be to help him try to search for an employer willing to go through the LMIA application and only come to Canada if you may have found an employer and they want to interview him in person.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Would also add to other posts that even with a job offer from an employer with an LMIA he isn’t guaranteed a WP. Unless he works in certain fields there isn’t a huge demand for labour and the economy is facing significant hurdles. There are literally hundreds of international students who line up for job openings in many cities. The whole process could also take 6 months with no guarantees of approval. The better option would be to help him try to search for an employer willing to go through the LMIA application and only come to Canada if you may have found an employer and they want to interview him in person.
A genuine LMIA will very likely lead to a WP. That said any fraud in LIMA can and will result in midrep finding and ban. So beware of any "agents" and "touts" who promise WPs.

That being said IRCC does not really look into condition of economy which is ESDA's job while issuing LMIA. IRCC can and does detect fraud done at any stage of application.