+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In a pickle trying to get canadian passport ...help

Mar 8, 2016
Hi All,

Bit of a length post coming up ... my apologies.

I contacted the ontario government back in january to get a replacement birth certificate ( was lost in my parents move many years ago) this took months to come through. I then applied for my canadian passport back in may, after it not arriving i have spent a week going back and forth with the embassy in london, only to find out they have lost both my application and my birth certificate. I am moving to vancouver on the 28th july to start a new job.

Now i don't have enough time to get my passport from here, and i don't meet the requirements to get my passport within canada as i don't have anyone in the country who can sign for me that has known me 2 years. Obviously due to the ETA thing i need my passport.

It was suggested that i make the passport application from here and have it sent to my parents address and have them send it on to me in vancouver.....however the only way i can get into canada now is with my british passport and a birth certificate, also still need to get my SIN number which requires my birth certificate.

The embassy have gone from being extremely helpful to not answering the phone or replying to emails now that its been established that the application and birth cert has been lost

have no idea what to do now......advice needed please

H

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ETA has been delayed - you don't need it to enter Canada right now.

However you do need either a Canadian passport or a Canadian birth certificate to obtain a SIN and be able to work.

So apply for a new birth certificate and enter Canada using your British passport. Once your birth certificate is available, you'll be able to apply for the SIN.

Mar 8, 2016
So i can enter canada to work on my british passport and canadian birth certificate with no problem at immigration ? then apply for the SIN when i get there using my birth certificate ?