+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing a Vehicle as Goods to Follow

Noize

Aug 12, 2013
Hi, my Wife (U.S.) recently applied for Permanent Residence (Inland Application) and officially landed as of the 3rd of July last month.

She has a vehicle we'd like to import (duty free), however, we're finding out almost a month later that we were supposed to fill out and submit Form B3 the same day of landing.

Initially, what we took away from her landing interview and brief inquiries with the CIC landing officer was that we had to contact CBSA about bringing her vehicle as a good to follow.

We were also informed that she couldn't travel outside of Canada until she received her PR card.

It was my understanding that we would have to leave Canada for up to 72-hours to begin the export process of her vehicle. Reason being: she's had the vehicle here in Canada since she filed for PR status.

I've called CBSA and explained our situation to a Customs Officer and I'm told that our case is tricky and that it will ultimately be up to the discretion of whomever deals with us at the time.

I was hoping to receive advice from any one that may have experience or knowledge to share on this subject, as we are both some what anxious about possibly having to pay duties & taxes on the vehicle. (we're not financially prepared for that)

Your input is greatly appreciated,

Daniel

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Hi Daniel,

I don't think you have to leave with the vehicle for up to 72 hours from Canada. What it means, is that you must fax the intent to remove the vehicle from the US 72 hours prior to you actually taking it. Now, because she already landed, and didn't declare the car as 'goods to follow' that might be a problem for you. There are a few steps to get her car legally into Canada. I found this link the other day and it is what I will use to import my car to Canada from the US when the time comes. It doesn't declare the information about not having the B4 filled out at landing, but at least you know what has to happen for her to legally get it over here.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/leaving-the-us-to-land-in-canada-in-16-days-anyone-have-time-for-a-onceover-t105182.0.html;msg1474430#msg1474430

Again, good luck with getting her car here and hope for the best when it comes time to actually do it that the border officer is in a good mood!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Noize said:
We were also informed that she couldn't travel outside of Canada until she received her PR card.
Only if you are coming back to Canada on a commercial carrier like commercial airline, bus, etc.

If going over a land border in a private car, you can simply provide your copy of COPR and passport