+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing a used Vehicle from USA to Canada?

sungeus

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I have imported the car from US to Canada when we moved, it was very easy process. First of all your car has to be paid off, second get a recall letter from manufacturer that there are no recalls on the car, if there are, they have been fixed.
I'm sure that you declared your car when you got the PR or if you are landing here, you will have to declare all assets along with the car(mention VIN).

Once you reach the US border, you have to stop at the US Customs to clear the car and they will give you the form that clears the car to be exported out of the country. Once you reach Canadian border, you will have to declare that you are importing your car and they will ask for Recall letter, Registration, Ownership etc. and then will give you a Form which basically says that you will have to get your car certified by authorized mechanic (most Canadian tires are) (For eg, if you don't have daytime running lights like me, you will have to get an adapter installed at Canadian tire, which activates them, costs about $200). Once the car is certified, you will get sticker from RIV that you have to paste on Driver door.

HubbYsWiFeY said:
Hi Guys,
Has anyone imported a used vehicle from the USA (NY Tri-State Area) into Canada? Does anyone know if the process after PR or cost is very expensive, combersome, tiring, makes any sense, nerve racking and/or if it is recommended or feasible? Any barriers to entry at the border? I am seeking information on if persons have done this themselves as i know I can google the info, but was seeking info from persons who have actually done it or know of a personal case. Thanks for any and all info.

HubbYsWiFeY

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 31, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 13, 2015
Nomination.....
SA:April 14, 2015
AOR Received.
November 12, 2014
Med's Done....
May 26, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 1, 2015
LANDED..........
Before Christmas 2015...
sungeus said:
Hi, I have imported the car from US to Canada when we moved, it was very easy process. First of all your car has to be paid off, second get a recall letter from manufacturer that there are no recalls on the car, if there are, they have been fixed.
I'm sure that you declared your car when you got the PR or if you are landing here, you will have to declare all assets along with the car(mention VIN).

Once you reach the US border, you have to stop at the US Customs to clear the car and they will give you the form that clears the car to be exported out of the country. Once you reach Canadian border, you will have to declare that you are importing your car and they will ask for Recall letter, Registration, Ownership etc. and then will give you a Form which basically says that you will have to get your car certified by authorized mechanic (most Canadian tires are) (For eg, if you don't have daytime running lights like me, you will have to get an adapter installed at Canadian tire, which activates them, costs about $200). Once the car is certified, you will get sticker from RIV that you have to paste on Driver door.
Thank U along with all the others who responded and provided me (and the rest of the forum) with the varied answers, methods and experience. :)

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
Can someone tell me around how much it cost all together?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OntarioBound said:
Can someone tell me around how much it cost all together?
It depends on your specific situation. Everyone pays 195 + tax (HST or HST+QST) for RIV fees. In addition, you'd have to consider the cost of any modifications your vehicles need and other expenses like insurance policy, gas for the move, and provincial inspection fees.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OhCanadiana said:
It depends on your specific situation. Everyone pays 195 + tax (HST or HST+QST) for RIV fees. In addition, you'd have to consider the cost of any modifications your vehicles need and other expenses like insurance policy, gas for the move, and provincial inspection fees.
What about vehicles that are older than 15 years and do not have daytime running lights?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
What about vehicles that are older than 15 years and do not have daytime running lights?
Vehicles older than 15 years are currently exempt from the RIV program, but that is under review (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-15yearrule-index-448.htm) so keep an eye on it (http://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx).

swestenzweig

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
22-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
23-07-2015
I've imported a vehicle prior to the new US export regulations and it was pretty simple. Lots of red tape, but, as long as you follow the instructions and prepare and organize all your documentation ahead of time, the actual export/import process at the border is relatively painless.

Now, with the new AES filing requirements to export a vehicle from the US, it's a lot more complicated. I'm a US citizen preparing to export/import my own personal vehicle to bring across when I land in Canada, but the US government is not making it easy for individuals to do this themselves. I suspect that's by design to discourage people from buying vehicles in the US and taking them to Canada, but the process is intimidating.

In order to be able to file your export in AES, you need to register in the AES system. Before you can register, you need either an EIN (employer identification number from the IRS) or a Dunn-Bradstreet number. EINs are easy enough to get online through the IRS, but even that process is a little cryptic as EINs are typically for businesses and not individuals. Once you have an EIN, you can register an account with AES. However, this doesn't allow you to file yet. In order to file, you MUST pass a quiz on the AES system. Even though they provide you a link to the .pdf manuals to refer to, the quiz is on international import/export logistics... far from most people's arena of knowledge. You can refer to the manuals as you take the quiz and the quiz does allow you to re-answer all the questions you missed, so getting a passing grade is attainable, but it's a bit of work to get there.

At this point, I've got my EIN, I've passed the quiz, and I'm able to enter information into AES. I've got my recall clearance letter from the manufacturer and I've just received my permission letter from my lien-holder allowing me to export the vehicle, so I'm just about ready to enter my information in AES. I'll report back with how that goes once I do. Already, I'm wondering if it's really worth the extra hassle to do this myself rather than pay someone to handle the AES entry for me.

One thing is for certain, anyone in the import/export business is loving all the extra income from this new legislation...

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
As for the preps for exporting, I am not sure about this quiz thing... I used http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/ ($35) and I didn't have to take any quizzes. (I own my car outright so that makes a difference or it is because I used a broker; I don't know...)
Someone posted the steps as to how to create an EIN so I followed that. ("sole proprietor", "Others", "Exporting a car into Canada") and gave the generated EIN number to simplifiedtradesolutions.com along with my car's VIN number and they sent me an ITN# the next morning. I sent the VIN# and ITN# to the NY car exporting email address.

One thing I wasn't prepared for is that I was supposed to be in the US when I submit the export request to my US port for exporting (Wheatfield) which I found out from them AFTER I submitted the request from Canada. I have to drive back to the US today although I don't need to until tomorrow to meet my 72 hour wait.

As for recall letters, Honda has a website that I could use to look up my recall information using my VIN number (which Canada import doc said they would accept) so I will print that out before I export my vehicle.

Anything else I have to do now for importing? (I know I will have to get it inspected and make changes like for the daylight running lights, etc, but that could come after importing, I think...)

swestenzweig

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
22-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
23-07-2015
OntarioBound said:
As for the preps for exporting, I am not sure about this quiz thing... I used http://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/get-an-aes-itn/vehicles-to-canada/ ($35) and I didn't have to take any quizzes. (I own my car outright so that makes a difference or it is because I used a broker; I don't know...)
Someone posted the steps as to how to create an EIN so I followed that. ("sole proprietor", "Others", "Exporting a car into Canada") and gave the generated EIN number to simplifiedtradesolutions.com along with my car's VIN number and they sent me an ITN# the next morning. I sent the VIN# and ITN# to the NY car exporting email address.

One thing I wasn't prepared for is that I was supposed to be in the US when I submit the export request to my US port for exporting (Wheatfield) which I found out from them AFTER I submitted the request from Canada. I have to drive back to the US today although I don't need to until tomorrow to meet my 72 hour wait.

As for recall letters, Honda has a website that I could use to look up my recall information using my VIN number (which Canada import doc said they would accept) so I will print that out before I export my vehicle.

Anything else I have to do now for importing? (I know I will have to get it inspected and make changes like for the daylight running lights, etc, but that could come after importing, I think...)
Thanks for the info, I may reach out to Simplified Trade Solutions. As for the quiz, that's required only if you're going to file in AES yourself to receive an ITN. Since you went with a third-party, they're filing in AES on your behalf.

If you own the vehicle outright (ie. no lien), I don't think there's anything else you need. You might want to check the RIV website for your vehicle ahead of time to make sure your vehicle can be imported and also what modifications are necessary to get it registered in Ontario. All of the modifications, and the inspection, can be performed in Ontario once the vehicle has been imported.

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
swestenzweig said:
Thanks for the info, I may reach out to Simplified Trade Solutions. As for the quiz, that's required only if you're going to file in AES yourself to receive an ITN. Since you went with a third-party, they're filing in AES on your behalf.

If you own the vehicle outright (ie. no lien), I don't think there's anything else you need. You might want to check the RIV website for your vehicle ahead of time to make sure your vehicle can be imported and also what modifications are necessary to get it registered in Ontario. All of the modifications, and the inspection, can be performed in Ontario once the vehicle has been imported.
You are welcome and thank you for the heads-up! The broker I used was very responsive - Maybe it was just the person who was handling my process, but I corresponded with him via email several times and he responded within 30 minutes each time. The sticking point (and what I am still a bit concerned about) is that he thinks NY title has no title numbers (My title shows the same identical number as VIN for the title number...) Evidently the title number is too long to be entered as a title number on his system and he says NY doesn't issue title numbers. Anyway, he recommended that I use the Doc number instead for the title number (He said his last customer from NY did that). Worst case scenario, customs will have me change it (by contacting them) when I arrive at the border, is what he said..

Hollywood

Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-07-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 21-09-2015 FT: 28-09-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 21-12-2015
LANDED..........
31-12-2015
Is there a time frame in how long you've had to have had the car in your name on the title?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hollywood said:
Is there a time frame in how long you've had to have had the car in your name on the title?
No.

To qualify for duty and tax free status, settlers need to have owned, used, and possessed goods prior (unless they are part of a bridal trousseau and meet specific requirements). Returning Canadians need to have owned goods at least 6 months to qualify for duty and tax free status unless they've been outside of Canada for at least 5 years. See http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html for additional details =)

Hollywood

Jun 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-07-2015
File Transfer...
SA: 21-09-2015 FT: 28-09-2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 21-12-2015
LANDED..........
31-12-2015
OhCanadiana said:
No.

To qualify for duty and tax free status, settlers need to have owned, used, and possessed goods prior (unless they are part of a bridal trousseau and meet specific requirements). Returning Canadians need to have owned goods at least 6 months to qualify for duty and tax free status unless they've been outside of Canada for at least 5 years.
What if it is for an American coming to Canada, landing and bringing over settlers effects?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hollywood said:
What if it is for an American coming to Canada, landing and bringing over settlers effects?
As long as you've owned, used, and possessed the car prior to landing you're ok :)

Pop Alexandra

Oct 9, 2020
Whew! Thanks!

I need to follow up on that soon. I do want to import the car but I'm also trying to create a paper trail in case I get one of those "hey, are you really moving here?" letters from the CIC.
Any update on the paper trail?
I'd like to see the step by step guide.