+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing a used Vehicle from USA to Canada?

HubbYsWiFeY

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 31, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 13, 2015
Nomination.....
SA:April 14, 2015
AOR Received.
November 12, 2014
Med's Done....
May 26, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 1, 2015
LANDED..........
Before Christmas 2015...
Hi Guys,
Has anyone imported a used vehicle from the USA (NY Tri-State Area) into Canada? Does anyone know if the process after PR or cost is very expensive, combersome, tiring, makes any sense, nerve racking and/or if it is recommended or feasible? Any barriers to entry at the border? I am seeking information on if persons have done this themselves as i know I can google the info, but was seeking info from persons who have actually done it or know of a personal case. Thanks for any and all info.

bethanycupcakes

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 16th, 2014
AOR Received.
November 24th, 2014
File Transfer...
November 24th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
June 11th, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 14, 2015
I'm in the same boat. Seems pretty messed up so far. My suggestion would be to hire a Broker for the exportation process from the US. The Canada part isn't as hard. You declare the car when you land, and they'll give you something called a Form 1 and you have 45 days to have the car inspected by a certified RIV inspection (usually Canadian Tire has someone). If the car passes, you can then register it with the RIV. I'd say the most stressful part is the EXPORTING because you have to do paper work, notify the port of entry/exit about the export 72 hours ahead of time, present the car there for deportation, along with original documents (title) BEFORE it can be taken to Canada. I yet to go through this process, but I've just started gathering the paper work. It's... stressful... There's more to it as well. Honestly, google is your best friend for this.

Hope that's helpful.

HubbYsWiFeY

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 31, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 13, 2015
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
November 12, 2014
Med's Done....
May 26, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 1, 2015
LANDED..........
Before Christmas 2015...
bethanycupcakes said:
I'm in the same boat. Seems pretty messed up so far. My suggestion would be to hire a Broker for the exportation process from the US. The Canada part isn't as hard. You declare the car when you land, and they'll give you something called a Form 1 and you have 45 days to have the car inspected by a certified RIV inspection (usually Canadian Tire has someone). If the car passes, you can then register it with the RIV. I'd say the most stressful part is the EXPORTING because you have to do paper work, notify the port of entry/exit about the export 72 hours ahead of time, present the car there for deportation, along with original documents (title) BEFORE it can be taken to Canada. I yet to go through this process, but I've just started gathering the paper work. It's... stressful... There's more to it as well. Honestly, google is your best friend for this.

Hope that's helpful.
Very helpful from someone who is actually going thru it. I appreciate ur reply. Thanks so much.

lijasha

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-2015
Doc's Request.
26-08-2015 - PC
AOR Received.
21-03-2015
Med's Request
With application
Med's Done....
30-09-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2015 - DM!
I've seen it done. It's pretty standard from US to Canada. Ship, pay duties and then have it inspected/registered like any other car. I know some ins companies have issues with US vins but all in all it shouldn't be too painful. Just keep all your receipts and invoices. Many shipping companies have a broker and they'll facilitate it. Check duties/fees before buy so you're not surprised when the "bill" comes.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
I imported a Mustang in 2013. Is the process stressful? Well yes, but it's more of a hassle than tension type stress if you do your homework. You do NOT need to use a broker, that is just a waste of money. You are allowed to "land" a vehicle as a new PR which I recall means you don't have to pay taxes on it and maybe some other benefits. Only cars newer than 15 years have to go through a RIV inspection. All the inspections happen after you import it and have it in Canada.

Basically as long as your title is clean and you prepare all the documents ahead of time you won't have a problem. Took me about 30 extra minutes for the actual importation over the border. I can go into it in detail when I have more time, about to head out the door.

HubbYsWiFeY

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 31, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 13, 2015
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
November 12, 2014
Med's Done....
May 26, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 1, 2015
LANDED..........
Before Christmas 2015...
lijasha said:
I've seen it done. It's pretty standard from US to Canada. Ship, pay duties and then have it inspected/registered like any other car. I know some ins companies have issues with US vins but all in all it shouldn't be too painful. Just keep all your receipts and invoices. Many shipping companies have a broker and they'll facilitate it. Check duties/fees before buy so you're not surprised when the "bill" comes.
Got it...Thank you so much :)

HubbYsWiFeY

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 31, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 13, 2015
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
November 12, 2014
Med's Done....
May 26, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 1, 2015
LANDED..........
Before Christmas 2015...
Aquakitty said:
I imported a Mustang in 2013. Is the process stressful? Well yes, but it's more of a hassle than tension type stress if you do your homework. You do NOT need to use a broker, that is just a waste of money. You are allowed to "land" a vehicle as a new PR which I recall means you don't have to pay taxes on it and maybe some other benefits. Only cars newer than 15 years have to go through a RIV inspection.

Basically as long as your title is clean and you prepare all the documents ahead of time you won't have a problem. Took me about 30 extra minutes for the actual importation over the border. I can go into it in detail when I have more time, about to head out the door.
Aquakitty,
Ok so when u are able to detail a little bit more is appreciated. I prefer no hassle to low hassle so yep, a option is a broker. I will weigh the two options after I get more detail. Seems it is easier with an older model vehicle also. Food for thought....Thank u.

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 4-6-2015 or earlier
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
I am landing next week, and after that, I will need to start prepping to export my car from Niagara Falls, NY and import it into Canada. (I am still waiting to get the car titlefrom DMV NY since I had to register my car since I just moved from CA to NY and NY DMV took the CA title where the car was purchased years ago (I own the car..)...)

Does anybody know how much is this process going to take in total? My car is old (10 yrs old) but it has only 60K miles on it, and it has new tires, so I will definitely bring it to Canada, but I was just wondering...

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
Aquakitty said:
I imported a Mustang in 2013. Is the process stressful? Well yes, but it's more of a hassle than tension type stress if you do your homework. You do NOT need to use a broker, that is just a waste of money. You are allowed to "land" a vehicle as a new PR which I recall means you don't have to pay taxes on it and maybe some other benefits. Only cars newer than 15 years have to go through a RIV inspection. All the inspections happen after you import it and have it in Canada.

The procedure has changed since you imported your car, I believe. The change was sometime last fall. I cannot remember the details around it, but now you do need a broker (I will try to dig up the thread on this...)

OntarioBound

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
AOR Received.
7-3-2015 (SA-13-3-2015)
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
8-7-2015
I found a URL explaining the change that occcured in Oct 2014...

http://blog.pcb.ca/2013/08/9-steps-to-importing-a-vehicle-into-canada-from-the-u-s/5134

New! Effective October 2, 2014, the US Census Bureau has added an export filing requirement on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Automated Export System (AES). The AES must be filed prior to the 72-hour notice. An EIN or IRS or Duns Number from the seller will be required along with the worksheet attached to file the AES. AES filing for self-propelled equipment is mandatory.
AES filing must be handled by a U.S domiciled company. A customs broker, freight forwarder or United States Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) can file the AES declaration. Once the AES is accepted, an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) number will be issued. The ITN number must accompany the request to start the 72-hour export notice with U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

HubbYsWiFeY

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 31, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 13, 2015
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
November 12, 2014
Med's Done....
May 26, 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 16, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 1, 2015
LANDED..........
Before Christmas 2015...

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's a post I wrote a while back with step-by-step instructions on how to import a vehicle from the US to Canada. The only change is the requirement to register the vehicle through AES (yourself at https://aesdirect.census.gov/ or via a broker) which is detailed at "Exporting a Vehicle to Canada" pdf linked off of http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle.

OhCanadiana said:
I didn't find a website with all the info and had to rely on piecemeal info and calling the border posts, RIV, and Ministry of Transportation in Canada to make sure I understood the process. It's not hard, you just need to make sure you do the parts in order and have the right docs. For the best overview, take a look at riv.com, but ignore all the info they have on paying duties (as long as your car is on your B4 you won't need to pay GST/HST).

To move the car, there's several steps:
1) Confirm the car is eligible
Check the riv.ca website to confirm that your car is eligible for import and to see what modifications you may need to make (e.g., daytime running lights) to pass inspection once you are in Canada. You can make the modifications either in the US or upon arrival in Canada (i.e., you don't have to do them before crossing the border but do need them to pass inspection in Canada)

2) Prep for the move
- Contact the Ministry of Transportation for your province to understand what you'll need to register your car (e.g., driver's license, insurance, import documentation, etc) and get whatever you need lined up
- I don't know the BC specifics, but Ontario requires an Ontario driver's license to be able to register the car, so make sure you have everything you need with you to get it (e.g., for some states you may need a driver history)
- Get the recall clearance letter (for Honda, my understanding is that you can register on their owner's website and print it directly or get it from a dealer on their letterhead). Send the letter showing no outstanding recalls to the RIV (document is valid for 30 day) to support @ support.riv.ca so they pre-process it. Call them to confirm all's set before you leave the US so you can get anything else necessary before you leave.
- Confirm your US insurance will cover you in Canada and get a letter of experience to help you get Canadian insurance
- Lay foundation to get insurance in Canada (you'll need it to register your car)
- If you don't own the car (e.g., you have a lease or loan), get authorization to export the car from the lienholder
- Make sure you have your car title easily available

4) Export car from the US
You can only export the car at certain border posts in the US and at certain times. So, figure out where you are crossing and then understand their requirements to get the info to them ahead of time - usually they are looking to get the info 3 (sometimes natural, sometimes business) days before you arrive at the border. Take a look at http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx for a good list of border crossings, but then search for the specific info for the border post and their instructions on the CBP website directly. For example, for Buffalo, look at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml and search "export a vehicle" to see an example of the instructions (other crossings sometimes need you to mail them the title so they receive it 3 business days prior so it's important to check for your specifics). You can search for other border crossings at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . Find out the location of the export office online or when you call them (it's not necessarily easy to find when you are at the border).
On the day of the crossing, stop by the CBP export office before you cross the border into Canada so they stamp your title to clear it for export.

3) Import the car into Canada
After you cross the border, tell the officer you are importing the car. Show them the stamped title and they'll send you inside to complete the process. Fill out the document at the Canadian border post - one page with your name, address, etc and car info. You'll need to get Form 1. If your car is included on your B4 (either submitted that day or previously), your tax rate will be 0% but make sure you keep the receipt carefully ... you'll need it at the Ministry of Transportation. Include your e-mail on Form 1 so the RIV e-mail you Form 2 (faster than mailing it). CBSA will be faxing Form 1 to the RIV.

4) Pay the import fee to the RIV and get your Form 2 from the RIV
You'll need to pay $195.00 + GST/HST (or QST) either at riv.com or by calling the RIV at 1-888-848-8240 (Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST), Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST))
You'll need the red numbers from your Form 1 to do this step and they will then e-mail you Form 2 which you'll need to get the car inspected.

5) Get your car inspected for import inspection (at Canadian Tire) and, if necessary, provincial inspection
You'll need to get your car inspected to ensure it meets Canadian standards (remember the checklist you got at the beginning from riv.ca ... they'll check for those modifications so get them done before elsewhere or arrange to have them done at Canadian Tire). The cost is included in the import fee you paid to the RIV. Plan for an hour or hour and a half for the inspection.
Depending on the province, you may need a provincial inspection too. For expediency, you may want to have the provincial inspection done at Canadian Tire the same day. Just tell them when you make the appointment so they can schedule it in.
Canadian Tire will stamp Form 2, which you'll need at the Ministry of Transportation. Make sure they fax the form to the RIV so the system shows you passed the inspection.

6) Register your car and get plates at the Ministry of Transportation
The specifics vary by province

7) Cancel your US insurance and send your US plates back if your state requires them

8) Celebrate!!!

LN13

Star Member
Dec 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-6-2015
AOR Received.
16/7/2015
File Transfer...
8/13/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
So it is possible to export a car you still owe on if you get clearance from the lender?

We still owe on ours and I'm not sure if our lender will let us but we have some refinance options available that might work if that is the case. We were trying to figure out what we were going to do. We love our car!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LN13 said:
So it is possible to export a car you still owe on if you get clearance from the lender?

We still owe on ours and I'm not sure if our lender will let us but we have some refinance options available that might work if that is the case. We were trying to figure out what we were going to do. We love our car!
Yes, the border will have no issue as long as all the owners of the vehicle are ok with it (just take a letter from the lender). :)

If it gives you encouragement, many people have reported getting clearance from their lenders =)

LN13

Star Member
Dec 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-6-2015
AOR Received.
16/7/2015
File Transfer...
8/13/2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Whew! Thanks!

I need to follow up on that soon. I do want to import the car but I'm also trying to create a paper trail in case I get one of those "hey, are you really moving here?" letters from the CIC.