+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Important OHIP eligibility info for all PR applicants residing in Ontario

jn1234

Nov 14, 2018
@canuck78 My apologies for reviving this old thread, but was hoping if you might have insight into my situation described below, thank you very much!

Hello all,

We applied for my spouse's PR application in Family Class as Outland (new delhi) and received Sponsor Approval about a month ago saying the file is moved to New Delhi visa office (also just completed medical). My spouse lives with me in Ontario but we applied outland because she needed to travel out of Canada due to family reasons.

Based on the following I post I understand that we might be able to apply for OHIP.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg2518001#msg2518001
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg3139952#msg3139952

Since this post is from many years ago, I was wondering if anyone has applied for OHIP with Outland application while living in Ontario (on visitor visa) in the recent past or has any information about this process. Does the same process of apply -> reject -> OHIP review board still hold true or is there any change to this now?

Please advise and help, I really appreciate your time and help.

Thanks!

SeineToHumber

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
The apply reject appeal flow only works once you have received “approved in principle”, which is a step before CoPR being issued. It’s usually not much in advance of that on most applications.
AIP is not usually shared with the client, but sometimes shows up on paperwork.

read the last few pages here.

Reactions: canuck78 and jn1234

SeineToHumber

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Yes, but inland applications can get a work permit and most applicants will get OHIP through that before AIP comes into play.

Maяia

Sep 5, 2020
Hi all, hope somebody can help me to clarify the situation with OHIP for my dependent child. I received AIP letter recently and get OHIP, but my daughter (19 y.o) was refused because her name was not mentioned in this letter. The same time she got her Ontario Photo ID without problem. Is dependent child not eligible for OHIP? Or should we try to attend other Service Ontario office and ask there? Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, hope somebody can help me to clarify the situation with OHIP for my dependent child. I received AIP letter recently and get OHIP, but my daughter (19 y.o) was refused because her name was not mentioned in this letter. The same time she got her Ontario Photo ID without problem. Is dependent child not eligible for OHIP? Or should we try to attend other Service Ontario office and ask there? Thank you
Every individual needs proof of their AIP or PR status.

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
@canuck78 My apologies for reviving this old thread, but was hoping if you might have insight into my situation described below, thank you very much!
Hi jn1234,

Hope you're doing well.

Apologies for bumping an old thread. My wife and I are in the same situation as you were a few years ago. Just wondering if you were successful in following the steps outlined in the first post and obtaining OHIP for your spouse.

We received the Sponsor Approval letter in December 2023. Our online tracker for the PA shows eligibility has been completed.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi jn1234,

Hope you're doing well.

Apologies for bumping an old thread. My wife and I are in the same situation as you were a few years ago. Just wondering if you were successful in following the steps outlined in the first post and obtaining OHIP for your spouse.

We received the Sponsor Approval letter in December 2023. Our online tracker for the PA shows eligibility has been completed.

Thanks!
Your spouse will only qualify for OHIP for an Outland application once they have PR or if they have an OWP and have a full-time job that is scheduled to last over 6 months. There are many spouses now coming to Ontario during sponsorship discovering they have no access to public healthcare. This is especially an issue for pregnant women who will be expected to pay out of pocket for any care and may struggle to find an OB willing to take on private patients since many have full patient load. Midwifery care was already hard to secure but have become even more difficult to secure since so many uninsured are trying to access this service. Sadly many did not consider access to healthcare when deciding to sponsor from within Canada. Would expect to pay out of pocket for care and finding care may be difficult. Some hospitals also do not accept non-OHIP patients expect in a medical emergency.

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
This is incorrect. As previous users have noted, you do not need to have PR or a full-time job for over 6 months to qualify for OHIP. You just need to be eligible for PR.
Your spouse will only qualify for OHIP for an Outland application once they have PR or if they have an OWP and have a full-time job that is scheduled to last over 6 months.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
This is incorrect. As previous users have noted, you do not need to have PR or a full-time job for over 6 months to qualify for OHIP. You just need to be eligible for PR.
Not sure how outland applicants would qualify:

Who qualifies
With certain exceptions, to qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least 1 of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2