Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
The outland applicant will need to move to Ontario on a TRV and make it their primary residence with the possibility of receiving OHIP before receiving PR status.
So, it's not just being eligible for PR as you stated earlier:

This is incorrect. As previous users have noted, you do not need to have PR or a full-time job for over 6 months to qualify for OHIP. You just need to be eligible for PR.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Being eligible for PR is listed as one of the few requirements for OHIP. I just clarified this requirement for the other user.
Yeah, but outland applicant would need to satisfy residency requirements first. So, the outland applicant would not qualify for OHIP with PR eligibility alone. Unless there is something I missed in the link I provided.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is incorrect. As previous users have noted, you do not need to have PR or a full-time job for over 6 months to qualify for OHIP. You just need to be eligible for PR.
That is not correct. For inland processing you need AIP to qualify for OHIP but this is Outland. You need much more than being eligible for PR to qualify for OHIP since AIP is the step before getting PR so you have gone through the majority of the process.

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
That is not correct. For inland processing you need AIP to qualify for OHIP but this is Outland. You need much more than being eligible for PR to qualify for OHIP since AIP is the step before getting PR so you have gone through the majority of the process.
Yes, for inland a AIP letter is required to apply for OHIP as it is the first stage approval.
As noted earlier in the thread, for outland a AFP status is needed amongst other requirements to apply for OHIP.

For those following this thread, I'm happy to share my spouse(outland applicant) received OHIP based on SOWP, SA letter and Ontario driver's license. No AIP required as the SOWP clearly states that the application for permanent residence has received first stage approval.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, for inland a AIP letter is required to apply for OHIP as it is the first stage approval.
As noted earlier in the thread, for outland a AFP status is needed amongst other requirements to apply for OHIP.

For those following this thread, I'm happy to share my spouse(outland applicant) received OHIP based on SOWP, SA letter and Ontario driver's license. No AIP required as the SOWP clearly states that the application for permanent residence has received first stage approval.
Unless your spouse provided proof of full-time employment for at least 6 months then they shouldn’t have qualified for OHIP.

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
Unless your spouse provided proof of full-time employment for at least 6 months then they shouldn’t have qualified for OHIP.
That's a misconception as I noted earlier in my reply to you.
Applicants for permanent residence with confirmation of first stage PR approval do not need to provide employment proof.
I'd like to invite you to actually go through the OHIP requirements list prior to making conclusions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's a misconception as I noted earlier in my reply to you.
Applicants for permanent residence with confirmation of first stage PR approval do not need to provide employment proof.
I'd like to invite you to actually go through the OHIP requirements list prior to making conclusions.
You are right. They must have very recently changed the eligibility requirements likely in response to many spouses arriving in Canada often pregnant without the ability to pay for care. How long is the expiry on the OHIP cards given person doesn’t have permanent status and not working? IRCC determining that you meet eligibility requirements doesn't mean that PR gets approved. PC party has made qualifying for OHIP much easier than it ever has been likely leading to much more abuse. No need to actually wait to qualify anymore which leads to many using OHIP many not meeting residency requirements and more demand on a strained system.

abuliman

Feb 16, 2019
You are right. They must have very recently changed the eligibility requirements likely in response to many spouses arriving in Canada often pregnant without the ability to pay for care.
The eligibility requirements were not changed very recently, it was effective April 01, 2009. It's just that sadly not everyone knows about this.
How long is the expiry on the OHIP cards given person doesn’t have permanent status and not working?
My spouse got a 1 year OHIP and was invited to extend it once the COPR comes through.
PC party has made qualifying for OHIP much easier than it ever has been likely leading to much more abuse.
I don't think it qualifies as 'abuse' of the OHIP system if an applicant meets the criteria as set out by the province. However, I do agree that the healthcare system is overloaded in Ontario but that's a different topic.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The eligibility requirements were not changed very recently, it was effective April 01, 2009. It's just that sadly not everyone knows about this.

My spouse got a 1 year OHIP and was invited to extend it once the COPR comes through.

I don't think it qualifies as 'abuse' of the OHIP system if an applicant meets the criteria as set out by the province. However, I do agree that the healthcare system is overloaded in Ontario but that's a different topic.
The critieria was not changed for visitors applying for status in 2009. Having looked at the OHIP eligibility criteria many times since then it. This change was not in place months ago leading many to discover they would have to pay for care as visitors or without proof of full-time employment for 6+ months if on SOWP while being sponsored by a PR or citizen. This became an issue after IRCC made it easier for spouses to visit Canada while waiting for sponsorship. The issue of lack of access to healthcare was very predictable and as soon as spouses qualified for TRVs much easier I highlighted this oversight. We have seen many cases on this forum since the change in approvals of mostly already pregnant women and their spouses not researching whether they would not be able to access free healthcare in most provinces, would have difficultly access lower cost or free care through midwives because of increased demand (although non-OHIP holders already seem to be favoured by many midwives), most realizing they didn’t have the funds to pay for care, etc. Some did do their research and did pay for care while others are on payment plans. Whether doctors or hospitals will ever be repaid is unclear.

https://arrivein.com/healthcare/how-to-apply-for-a-health-card-in-ontario/ (proof that in 2021 eligibility was different and was the same until sometime in 2024)