+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Import vehicle when obtaining PR

MichaelCC

Oct 20, 2020
My vehicle is already registered with BC plates and insurance, and was exempt from formal importation from USA because I was a temporary worker. Now I have obtained PR. Am I supposed to "import" the vehicle even though it is already located and registered in BC? How would I do that with the border closure? What are the practical consequences if I just continue driving the vehicle without "importing" it?

FYI, because of COVID my PR was finalized with no "landing" required, i.e., I did not need to go to a port of entry.

Last edited:

Tean

Jan 23, 2021
Hi Michael,

I have recently done a temporary import and now trying to get my car registered in BC. But none of the autobrokers i contacted know how to get the car registered temporarily without surrendering the US original title. Can you please provide some info on how you got it registered inBC?
Any info you could provide would be really helpful.

MichaelCC

Oct 20, 2020
Tean,

To register my vehicle in BC I needed:

1 Form 1 completed by CBSA showing exemption from formal import. This can be tricky to get. The agents at Douglas/ Peace Arch POE wouldn't give it to me. I finally got it from a nice agent at the Nanaimo, BC harbour CBSA office

2. Vehicle inspection. I found a local repair shop that is certified by BC to perform inspections. This is not the formal import inspection, it's just the standard inspection that any BC resident needs to register a vehicle the first time

3. Original title. Yes, the ICBC agent took it from me. This would be a problem if I needed to prove ownership in the US, such as to formally export the vehicle. So what I did was I obtained (by mail) a replacement from my state's Motor Vehicle Division.

Hope that helps!