+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status

Smanolescue

Aug 2, 2019
Hi,
I have a complex case that I would love advice on ASAP.

I have been working in Canada for the last 2 years. Last October I got married to a Canadian citizen, so we decided to apply to PR for me through sponsorship. Along with that we applied for an extension of my work visa.
So, my work visa that I have been under for the past 2 years has expired, but I understand I’m under implied status because I applied for an extension before it ran out.
However I have a trip to New York planned and I’m concerned what will happen when I leave the country and try and get back in.

On top of that I have been offered a date for my final PR interview which is during my trip away. I asked for a different date however now I’m more worried they will look badly on this.

Any advice would massively help!!

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
If you leave Canada while you have implied status, it's entirely possible they won't let you come back, since your implied status goes away if you leave. I would advise you call the IRCC helpline to ask if you could reenter canada as a visitor when you come back from your trip as long as you don't work until your new permit is approved (or your PR status comes through, whichever is first).

I dont think they'll look down on you for rescheduling your interview. Seeing as they arbitrarily assign you a date and time, I imagine people reschedule sometimes without issue

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Agreed with the above poster. You run the risk of not being admitted back. I would reschedule your trip until you receive PR. You should receive your PR card a few weeks after your interview.

Smanolescue

Aug 2, 2019
Thank you for your replies!
It’s hard because I have already paid A LOT of money for this trip. But I guess if I get denied entry to Canada then my PR is effected very badly

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you for your replies!
It’s hard because I have already paid A LOT of money for this trip. But I guess if I get denied entry to Canada then my PR is effected very badly
If you get denied entry, your PR application is probably lost. You can't attend the landing interview.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I have a complex case that I would love advice on ASAP.

I have been working in Canada for the last 2 years. Last October I got married to a Canadian citizen, so we decided to apply to PR for me through sponsorship. Along with that we applied for an extension of my work visa.
So, my work visa that I have been under for the past 2 years has expired, but I understand I’m under implied status because I applied for an extension before it ran out.
However I have a trip to New York planned and I’m concerned what will happen when I leave the country and try and get back in.

On top of that I have been offered a date for my final PR interview which is during my trip away. I asked for a different date however now I’m more worried they will look badly on this.

Any advice would massively help!!
While it's true that entry is not a guarantee, I will say that the chances of being refused entry are very low, especially since you have already received a landing date. CBSA officers can be a bit dense sometimes but they generally have enough sense to know it's pointless to refuse someone who is basically already approved for PR. As you are currently on Implied Status, you would be re-entering as a visitor.