+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status?

Mar 31, 2018
Hi
I'm from the Uk and my partner is planning on sponsoring me to become a PR when our marriage certificate arrives.
Im going to apply for an Open work permit as part of the PR application and was wondering about Implied status while I wait for my permit?
I am currently in Canada on a visitors visa which is up in July so will I be granted implied status when I send the application in or do I have to return to the UK when my 6 months is up?
Thankyou

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi
I'm from the Uk and my partner is planning on sponsoring me to become a PR when our marriage certificate arrives.
Im going to apply for an Open work permit as part of the PR application and was wondering about Implied status while I wait for my permit?
I am currently in Canada on a visitors visa which is up in July so will I be granted implied status when I send the application in or do I have to return to the UK when my 6 months is up?
Thankyou
1. As long as you apply before your status expires, you will have implied status until the decision is made on your work permit

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hi
Thankyou

You are applying inland yes?

When do you expect the marriage certificate to arrive/when do you expect to send the application in?

You don't have to return to the uk no but you should be careful about falling out of status. This could happen if for some reason your application/OWP app is returned to you for an error. Meaning your implied status is not valid and you haven't maintained your visitor status. Something that may seem unlikely but is all too common.

The risk of falling out of status can be eliminated by still applying to extend your visitor status in July, if you haven't heard anything back on your OWP (which judging by timelines and the fact your app isn't submitted yet is possible)

Visitor status extension app can be submitted right up until the day before your current status expires.

Mar 31, 2018
You are applying inland yes?

When do you expect the marriage certificate to arrive/when do you expect to send the application in?

You don't have to return to the uk no but you should be careful about falling out of status. This could happen if for some reason your application/OWP app is returned to you for an error. Meaning your implied status is not valid and you haven't maintained your visitor status. Something that may seem unlikely but is all too common.

The risk of falling out of status can be eliminated by still applying to extend your visitor status in July, if you haven't heard anything back on your OWP (which judging by timelines and the fact your app isn't submitted yet is possible)

Visitor status extension app can be submitted right up until the day before your current status expires.
Hi
So the marriage certificate should arrive absolutely max 4 weeks from this point. This Monday coming it will be 6 weeks since the wedding..it was the end of Feb. We continue to track it online.
Yes I'm applying from Toronto as I cohabitate here on a visitors visa to the best of my ability.
Am I right in thinking its max 6 weeks for the OWP to be processed?
Obviously we are going to check the application carefully and avoid all errors but thankyou for the warning. I will look into extending my status if it gets to the end of June and I've had no word on the application, just to cover my back in case there is an error by some chance.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi
So the marriage certificate should arrive absolutely max 4 weeks from this point. This Monday coming it will be 6 weeks since the wedding..it was the end of Feb. We continue to track it online.
Yes I'm applying from Toronto as I cohabitate here on a visitors visa to the best of my ability.
Am I right in thinking its max 6 weeks for the OWP to be processed?
Obviously we are going to check the application carefully and avoid all errors but thankyou for the warning. I will look into extending my status if it gets to the end of June and I've had no word on the application, just to cover my back in case there is an error by some chance.
OWP takes 3 to 4 months to be processed alongside an inland app