+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status - waiting on OWP while pregnant

Emmma

Nov 9, 2020
Hi there,

I applied Inland PR + OWP back in February.
I want to move back to my home country now that I am pregnant to be closer to family. I have been living and working here in Canada for 2yrs 7 months so I will be eligible for EI - MAT BENEFITS assuming my OWP comes through soon and I get my new SIN. My Canadian employer will allow me to work abroad for a couple of months before mat leave and then I plan to return to Canada after my leave.

I have a couple of questions,I have been waiting almost 9 months for OWP,starting to get worried that I will not have it anytime soon, If it does not come and I leave the country before this comes in the mail will they know,would this be flagged somewhere? Would I know longer be eligible to receive the OWP?

I believe I can apply for my SIN online, is this true or would I need to be in Canda to apply for my new SIN.

I've tried contacting IRCC through the webform 3 times now but they have not replied.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I applied Inland PR + OWP back in February.
I want to move back to my home country now that I am pregnant to be closer to family. I have been living and working here in Canada for 2yrs 7 months so I will be eligible for EI - MAT BENEFITS assuming my OWP comes through soon and I get my new SIN. My Canadian employer will allow me to work abroad for a couple of months before mat leave and then I plan to return to Canada after my leave.

I have a couple of questions,I have been waiting almost 9 months for OWP,starting to get worried that I will not have it anytime soon, If it does not come and I leave the country before this comes in the mail will they know,would this be flagged somewhere? Would I know longer be eligible to receive the OWP?

I believe I can apply for my SIN online, is this true or would I need to be in Canda to apply for my new SIN.

I've tried contacting IRCC through the webform 3 times now but they have not replied.
Your application can only be processed as inland if you are living in Canada with your sponsor. If you are planning to leave Canada and move back to your home country then withdraw the inland application and reapply outland. There is no OWP granted with the outland process.

Reactions: YVR123

Emmma

Nov 9, 2020
Your application can only be processed as inland if you are living in Canada with your sponsor. If you are planning to leave Canada and move back to your home country then withdraw the inland application and reapply outland. There is no OWP granted with the outland process.

My OWP still says "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility." do you know if this means it could still take months to be processed?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My OWP still says "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility." do you know if this means it could still take months to be processed?
What was your status before applying for inland spousal sponsorship? if you are do not planning on remaining in Canada there is no point in dragging out the inland sponsorship process and you are applying for OWP in bad faith if you have no intentions of remaining in Canada while living with your spouse in Canada.

Marge88

Aug 31, 2020
I would also assume that you cannot get EI if you are outside of Canada (just an assumption I really don't know the reality)

Emmma

Nov 9, 2020
I would also assume that you cannot get EI if you are outside of Canada (just an assumption I really don't know the reality)
I’ve called EI to confirm this, you can receive maternity benefits while out of the country as long as you have a Canadian employer and valid sin. You cannot collect other types of EI though

Marge88

Aug 31, 2020
I’ve called EI to confirm this, you can receive maternity benefits while out of the country as long as you have a Canadian employer and valid sin. You cannot collect other types of EI though
That's good to know Thank you for the explanation