+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status / Study Permit

mickey11

Nov 22, 2017
Good day to All!

I just want to ask about my application. I was under Work Permit when I came here in Canada. But since there is no LMIA available I decided to apply as Student just to extend my stay. I applied for Study Permit online last June 19, 2017 and received by IRCC on June 20. My work permit expired on August 14, 2017. Until to this date there is no decision on my application. Its been 22 weeks since I applied. I called CIC but they just only told me that my application is still on process. My questions are:
1. The start of my schooling was on November 16, 2017. What will be the impact of not getting yet the study permit?
2. Am I under implied status even I applied to extend my stay from Worker to Student?
3. If I am under implied status, and if ever my application is denied, will I be eligible for restoration even my I am implied status for more than 3 months after the expiration of my original permit (Work Permit)? because of what I've read restoration is within 90 days only. And if I will based from the expiration of my original permit I was beyond 90 days. Please do help me to understand this

Hoping that someone can answers my queries because as of now, I really dont know what to do. Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Good day to All!

I just want to ask about my application. I was under Work Permit when I came here in Canada. But since there is no LMIA available I decided to apply as Student just to extend my stay. I applied for Study Permit online last June 19, 2017 and received by IRCC on June 20. My work permit expired on August 14, 2017. Until to this date there is no decision on my application. Its been 22 weeks since I applied. I called CIC but they just only told me that my application is still on process. My questions are:
1. The start of my schooling was on November 16, 2017. What will be the impact of not getting yet the study permit?
2. Am I under implied status even I applied to extend my stay from Worker to Student?
3. If I am under implied status, and if ever my application is denied, will I be eligible for restoration even my I am implied status for more than 3 months after the expiration of my original permit (Work Permit)? because of what I've read restoration is within 90 days only. And if I will based from the expiration of my original permit I was beyond 90 days. Please do help me to understand this

Hoping that someone can answers my queries because as of now, I really dont know what to do. Thank you very much in advance.

1. You cannot start attending school until you get a approved study permit. You have to ask your school to defer your attendance to a new semester.

2. Yes you are under implied status and is legally able to remain in Canada until you get a decision on your application. Note that you cannot work at this period of time.

3. If your application is refused, you have 90 days restoration to restore your as a visitor or reapply for study permit again. The refusal letter will state when was your status expired.

Reactions: scylla

mickey11

Nov 22, 2017
1. You cannot start attending school until you get a approved study permit. You have to ask your school to defer your attendance to a new semester.

2. Yes you are under implied status and is legally able to remain in Canada until you get a decision on your application. Note that you cannot work at this period of time.

3. If your application is refused, you have 90 days restoration to restore your as a visitor or reapply for study permit again. The refusal letter will state when was your status expired.

Thank you very much Wonderland_1010 for the reply. As just got confused because I've read that one of the Temporary Worker who was under implied status, received a refusal letter saying that he must immediately leave Canada. He has not given the 90 days restoration period. Im a bit worried at this time because the reason for him was that the original WP expired more than 3 months even he is under implied.

Nov 12, 2017
I am an international student and I need to extend my study permit before It gets expired.
I would like to know which of the following dates is the application date if I do it on paper? I just want to be sure that I am sending it on time.

The date that I mail it
The date that Immigration Canada receive it
The date that is in my application form

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an international student and I need to extend my study permit before It gets expired.
I would like to know which of the following dates is the application date if I do it on paper? I just want to be sure that I am sending it on time.

The date that I mail it
The date that Immigration Canada receive it
The date that is in my application form

Thanks
The date that CIC receives it. You must make sure your application reaches CIC before your current study permit expires.

Reactions: ismaelcarloledesma