+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status - Please calm my nerves!

caylxnicole

Sep 30, 2013
So I`ve applied for my extended visitors stay in November.
My current visitors record ended on Jan 18th.
Seeing that the process time for my extended stay would be about 80 days-I just assumed that I didn`t have enough time.
So I went to the border on Jan 16th thinking that it was time to go back to the USA.
I talked to an immigration officer about my situation.
He congratulated me and said I was doing the right thing (with my family sponsorship application-different story) and he also surprised me.
He told me that I would be on an Implied Status until I receive my answer to my application.
That`s great! ;D

However, I`m super paranoid because I don`t really have any documents to prove that I am allowed to be here on this Implied Status.
All I really have is my copy of the stamped receipt from the application.
I just don`t want issues or any surprise warrants!

Please tell me this is normal. Lol. ???

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
caylxnicole said:
So I`ve applied for my extended visitors stay in November.
My current visitors record ended on Jan 18th.
Seeing that the process time for my extended stay would be about 80 days-I just assumed that I didn`t have enough time.
So I went to the border on Jan 16th thinking that it was time to go back to the USA.
I talked to an immigration officer about my situation.
He congratulated me and said I was doing the right thing (with my family sponsorship application-different story) and he also surprised me.
He told me that I would be on an Implied Status until I receive my answer to my application.
That`s great! ;D

However, I`m super paranoid because I don`t really have any documents to prove that I am allowed to be here on this Implied Status.
All I really have is my copy of the stamped receipt from the application.
I just don`t want issues or any surprise warrants!

Please tell me this is normal. Lol. ???
IF it's an inland application AND you submitted an open work permit application with the PR application, then you have implied status as a visitor. Otherwise, you don't.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
As long as you have the proof of that the CIC received your application for your extension of stay, you are legal to stay in Canada under implied status until you receive the letter from the CIC with their decision on your application for extension of stay.

caylxnicole

Sep 30, 2013
zardoz said:
IF it's an inland application AND you submitted an open work permit application with the PR application, then you have implied status as a visitor. Otherwise, you don't.
I was referring to my extended stay. Hence why I said the family sponsorship is a different story. Didn't say anything about working lol.

caylxnicole

Sep 30, 2013
Suin said:
As long as you have the proof of that the CIC received your application for your extension of stay, you are legal to stay in Canada under implied status until you receive the letter from the CIC with their decision on your application for extension of stay.
Are they supposed to send me a letter when they received the application? The immigration officer didn't say anything about that...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
caylxnicole said:
I was referring to my extended stay. Hence why I said the family sponsorship is a different story. Didn't say anything about working lol.
Ah... In this case, what Suin said...

dotmatrix

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-06-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
23-10-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-12-2014
caylxnicole said:
Are they supposed to send me a letter when they received the application? The immigration officer didn't say anything about that...

well usually people apply online these days and they get a submission confirmation in email so that's the de facto proof of implied status.

But since you are saying that processing time is 80 days, I am assuming you applied thru mail. Do you have some sort of receipt for mailing your application? That could be your proof. I don't think CIC mails out a confirmation of submission but I could be wrong because I don't have first hand experience.

But you don't have to be nervous about it - you don't really "need" to have proof of stay on you all the time while you are out an about.

caylxnicole

Sep 30, 2013
Yes I sent mine through the mail. I have my copy of the stamped receipt on me at all times now lol.

Thank you guys!