+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status or Get the visa extended?

pedrojorge

Aug 25, 2017
I just got my visitor extension approved and I will expire in February. I was planning to send my Spousal Sponsorship application in January with the OWP, but I got worried because I just read it in a Facebook group:

“you need to have status (not implied status) by the time they proces your OWP it will take some weeks, is better to apply for your extenssion is very easy, i dit it and only cost 100.”

I read before that I just need to have a valid status by the time I send the application. Now I don’t know now what to do, because I’m gonna apply for the sponsorship in January and my visa expires on February 15th. I don’t think they will start processing before it.

Is that right or I will be fine if I keep up with my plan?

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Implied Status is valid status! Do not make decisions based on unprofessional advice or other peoples experiences. The immigration legislation or website should always be your reference point.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I just got my visitor extension approved and I will expire in February. I was planning to send my Spousal Sponsorship application in January with the OWP, but I got worried because I just read it in a Facebook group:

“you need to have status (not implied status) by the time they proces your OWP it will take some weeks, is better to apply for your extenssion is very easy, i dit it and only cost 100.”

I read before that I just need to have a valid status by the time I send the application. Now I don’t know now what to do, because I’m gonna apply for the sponsorship in January and my visa expires on February 15th. I don’t think they will start processing before it.

You would be on implied status but some people do choose to extend their status regardless because if for some reason your application was returned to you without processing because of an error you would then be "out of status".

Reactions: KBH

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
I'm pretty sure the date they receive your app is technically when they start processing it (even though AOR currently takes 6-8 weeks), so you will still have a valid status then for sure if you fire it off January so would be wasting $100 with having the OWP app in.

But I would wait for some more senior members to confirm.

Ylajali

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
App. Filed.......
2017-04-11
AOR Received.
2017-05-04
Med's Request
2017-11-15

My husband's visitor status expired on the same day CIC receive our application, but he already had made the visitor extension request. I think it's better to make that extension. If you don't and solely rely on the implied status provided by the owp application, you could be in problem if your PR application is returned. It would mean CIC has never received your owp application and you would be out of status. It's also possible that your PR application would be complete and you would receive your AOR for it, but could still get your owp application sent back to you if incomplete. You would be out of status in that case too. That means you would have to ask for restoration of your status or wait for AIP to get the OWP. If you want to make sure you will receive your OWP without delays, it would be better for you to play safe and ask for the visitor visa extension...

Reactions: pedrojorge

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Good point that the app could end up being returned, a $100 isn't much for a bit of peace of mind (and some people say they may even refund that if the spousal app/owp goes through ok).

Also make sure you send the correct fees for OWP as seems a few people get that wrong.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
If it were me...i would apply to extend it.

Reactions: pedrojorge

pedrojorge

Aug 25, 2017
If it were me...i would apply to extend it.
I just received the approval letter from my last extension. Do you think I should get it extended again right now or I should wait until january, when I will apply for Sponsorship and OWP? my visa will expire in February

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I just received the approval letter from my last extension. Do you think I should get it extended again right now or I should wait until january, when I will apply for Sponsorship and OWP? my visa will expire in February
No need to apply right now. It is advised to apply 30 days before your status expires but you can actually apply to extend right up until the day it expires.