+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status help please :)

RobbieJca

Nov 18, 2017
Hi there,

I'm currently living in Canada on a 2 year working holiday visa. It's due to expire in January 2018 and I am looking at the options available to me to extend my stay.

My partner and I are considering common law/marriage whilst I am also looking into Express Entry but my main question is regarding Implied Status for these options.

- Question 1: If I went down the Express Entry PR route, would I be able to stay in Canada on implied status once I have created my EE profile but before receiving an invitation to apply? If so would I be able to work on the conditions of my current working holiday visa?

- Question 2: If we applied for a spousal visa, and thus submitted a work permit in our application, would I be on implied status until the work visa is approved or the spousal visa? Again would I be able to continue working on my working holiday visa?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
I don't get your second question. For the first question, no, you can't apply for BOWP or be on implied status before receiving an invitation and submitting your complete PR application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

I'm currently living in Canada on a 2 year working holiday visa. It's due to expire in January 2018 and I am looking at the options available to me to extend my stay.

My partner and I are considering common law/marriage whilst I am also looking into Express Entry but my main question is regarding Implied Status for these options.

- Question 1: If I went down the Express Entry PR route, would I be able to stay in Canada on implied status once I have created my EE profile but before receiving an invitation to apply? If so would I be able to work on the conditions of my current working holiday visa?

- Question 2: If we applied for a spousal visa, and thus submitted a work permit in our application, would I be on implied status until the work visa is approved or the spousal visa? Again would I be able to continue working on my working holiday visa?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.
Hi

1. Creating an EE profile does not grant status or allow you to work. Submitting a PR app does not grant status or allow you to work. If you submit your PR app and get AOR before your IEC permit expires, you could apply for a BOWP. You would need to stop working after your IEC permit expires until your BOWP is approved. If you submit your PR app after your IEC permit expires, you will not qualify for a BOWP.

2. You would have Implied Status as a visitor but would not be able to work after your IEC permit expires until your OWP is approved.

With only 2 months left on your IEC permit, you've left it pretty late. It is very unlikely that you will have another work permit in hand before your iEC permit expires, so you should plan for the fact that you will have to stop working for at least a few months.

RobbieJca

Nov 18, 2017
Hi

1. Creating an EE profile does not grant status or allow you to work. Submitting a PR app does not grant status or allow you to work. If you submit your PR app and get AOR before your IEC permit expires, you could apply for a BOWP. You would need to stop working after your IEC permit expires until your BOWP is approved. If you submit your PR app after your IEC permit expires, you will not qualify for a BOWP.

2. You would have Implied Status as a visitor but would not be able to work after your IEC permit expires until your OWP is approved.

With only 2 months left on your IEC permit, you've left it pretty late. It is very unlikely that you will have another work permit in hand before your iEC permit expires, so you should plan for the fact that you will have to stop working for at least a few months.

Hey, thanks for the advise. I realize that I've left it quite late in the day to sort this out but I appreciate the help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey, thanks for the advise. I realize that I've left it quite late in the day to sort this out but I appreciate the help.
Good luck. Regardless of what path you choose, make sure that you maintain your status.