+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status GREY zone

mouette79

Sep 18, 2012
Hello to you all!

So I've been forwarded to official statements by government and immigration about this, and they keep on tell me that "If you hold a work permit or a study permit, you can continue working or studying under the conditions of your previous permit if you have applied to extend your stay in Canada under the same category. However, if you have applied to extend your stay under another category, you must stop working or studying. "

I know I am playing with semantics, but what do they imply by "same category", from one work permit to another?
I also understand that it doesn't apply if I applied for a work permit extension with a new employer from a IEC work permit with a different employer whose office had to close down over a year ago.

Please advise. I am ceasing work at the place where I've been working for the last year, and ask my manager to get documentation to prove that I will start working for him again at a later date in 2013, whenever the LMO gets back to us and I can apply from outside Canada.

As of now, staying in Canada under implied status but without making a living is going to be tricky and I might have to go back to France anyway.
RIGHT NOW THOUGH, do I HAVE to apply for restoration of Temporary Resident status as a visitor? I understand that I seem to be under implied status anyway. and that until a decision is made on my case (refusal at that point), and then only will I have to leave and re-enter Canada as a visitor OR stay in Canada and restore my status... *sigh*