+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status for PR

iamtamtam

May 1, 2017
Hello all,

I'm currently under Spouse sponership inland process and it's time to mantain my legal status in Canada.
My question is that, Once I submit the OWP to CIC, I'll have implied status? Is that correct?

I found this at CIC website:
[In situations where an applicant who has visitor status submits an application for permanent residence to a case processing centre in Canada and, at the same time, submits an application for a work permit [pursuant to paragraph R207(b)], the visitor may be considered to have requested an extension of their temporary resident status [in accordance with subsection R183(5)]. They are considered to have implied status as a visitor, until a decision is made on their work permit application.

When no application for a work or study permit is received with the application for permanent residence, the applicant is obliged to apply to extend their visitor status.]

Just want to make sure I don't misunderstand it and make myself touble on my PR.

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
You have to apply via paper application.

I believe that you should have sent your OWP app with your PR app. Because you didn't, I think you now won't quality to get your OWP until you receive first stage approval (AIP)? Perhaps someone can clarify that for me but I seem to remember reading that before.

iamtamtam

May 1, 2017
Is that mean I do not have implied status even i submit OWP now?
Just because of I didn't submit it at the same time with my PR appication?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
km9203 said:
You have to apply via paper application.

I believe that you should have sent your OWP app with your PR app. Because you didn't, I think you now won't quality to get your OWP until you receive first stage approval (AIP)? Perhaps someone can clarify that for me but I seem to remember reading that before.
Not true. As long as CIC receives the OWP application before the current status expires, the person will still have Implied Status and thereby will qualify for the OWP.

The OP needs to make it clear that they have already submitted the Inland sponsorship application, otherwise if the OWP is processed without CIC knowing this information, it will be refused.

I'm not sure if you can apply for the OWP online, but I'm sure someone else will let you know.

iamtamtam

May 1, 2017
Thanks. I have few more questions.

Do I need to provide any proof for my inland sponsorship application has been submitted?

Will CIC send me a notification when they received my OWP application?
(I just wamt to make sure I have implied status)

And How long is the processing time for OWP?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Huh? :-\ Didn't you read what I posted?

Ponga said:
The OP needs to make it clear that they have already submitted the Inland sponsorship application, otherwise if the OWP is processed without CIC knowing this information, it will be refused.

I'm not sure if you can apply for the OWP online, but I'm sure someone else will let you know.
It takes ~ 4 months to receive the OWP.

When does your current visitor status expire? If it expires in less than 4 months, you should also consider applying for a visitor extension, just in case your OWP is returned because of an error on your part. The OWP gives Implied Status, but only if it is actually processed by CIC before your status expires.

iamtamtam

May 1, 2017
Thanks,

Except I need to indicate I'm under Inland sponsorship process with the application. I was wondering if any proof documents are needed for supporting it.

my current status will be expired in 1.5 months.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Include a copy of the receipt for the sponsorship application, along with the name and pertinent information (UCI, if applicable, DOB, etc.) of your sponsor.

If I were you, with only 6 weeks of status left, I'd at least consider applying to extend your visitor status, just in case. Worse case, your OWP is returned AFTER your status expires and you then apply for Restoration of Status and re-submit the OWP.

iamtamtam

May 1, 2017
Thanks Ponga, you're right. Just in case if there's something wrong with the OWP, I still have status from the extension.

Nu_Applicant

Apr 14, 2017
Ponga said:
Not true. As long as CIC receives the OWP application before the current status expires, the person will still have Implied Status and thereby will qualify for the OWP.

What is OP?