+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status for Open Work Permit under New Public Policy

kaimile

Jan 29, 2021
Hi everyone,

My PGWP expired few weeks ago and I am on the implied status waiting for the decision from CIC for visitor visa. However when I was online applying for new Open Work Permit, I noticed that there is no suitable option to select for this case. They asked for the current immigration status and expiry date. Does anyone please advise me what to do in this situation?

Ryne26

Jan 27, 2021
Hi everyone,

My PGWP expired few weeks ago and I am on the implied status waiting for the decision from CIC for visitor visa. However when I was online applying for new Open Work Permit, I noticed that there is no suitable option to select for this case. They asked for the current immigration status and expiry date. Does anyone please advise me what to do in this situation?
Take your time to go through these 2 following links and you will be good to go:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/restoration-extension-trv.html#more

kaimile

Jan 29, 2021
Hi Ryne26,
Appreciate your reply. I read these given CIC posts. My concern is that what I should fill in the term ‘expiry date’ for the current immigration status. Because I am on the implied status, I do not have this information. If I write down the expiry date of the old open work permit, the system will ask to choose to ‘restore your immigration status’ and pay extra C$200 fees.

ZackKar

Nov 10, 2020
Does it mean that I have to restore the status even I am on the implied one?
Changing your status to visitor after work permit expiry doesn't consider an implied status! you lost you work status and now you're not allowed to work.

I am in the same situation like you. Implied status could be applied if you submitted a renew or extension for the work permit, in that case you can continue to work under implied status until a decision being made!

kaimile

Jan 29, 2021
Changing your status to visitor after work permit expiry doesn't consider an implied status! you lost you work status and now you're not allowed to work.

I am in the same situation like you. Implied status could be applied if you submitted a renew or extension for the work permit, in that case you can continue to work under implied status until a decision being made!
Thank you for your answer! I have just applied by choosing to restore the status. But I still question that why we have to restore status even we have not lost it. CIC always states on their page that "if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your offence (loss of status) or you must leave Canada. " We have applied for visitor visa to extend our stay before the work permit expired. It means we have legal authorization to stay here. So, I believe that it does not make sense when we have to restore it. I am sorry if I am wrong, please correct me.

6onHz

Feb 24, 2021
Thank you for your answer! I have just applied by choosing to restore the status. But I still question that why we have to restore status even we have not lost it. CIC always states on their page that "if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your offence (loss of status) or you must leave Canada. " We have applied for visitor visa to extend our stay before the work permit expired. It means we have legal authorization to stay here. So, I believe that it does not make sense when we have to restore it. I am sorry if I am wrong, please correct me.
You are correct. You are on 'implied status' for visitor visa. You can legally stay in Canada while waiting for the visitor visa result.

I'm in the same situation and trying to find the correct way to apply for the new PGWP extension because it's not clear whether or not I should pay the additional $200.

Last edited:

kaimile

Jan 29, 2021
You are correct. You are on 'implied status' for visitor visa. You can legally stay in Canada while waiting for the visitor visa result.

I'm in the same situation and trying to find the correct way to apply for the new PGWP extension because it's not clear whether or not I should pay the additional $200.
Hi there,
Just want to update you on my case: CIC cancelled my visitor application while processing my open work permit under the new public policy. Last week, I received refunds for both cancelled visitor and the new open work permit (total C$200). So, it means that you have to pay for ‘restore status’ fees to apply the new wp.

6onHz

Feb 24, 2021
Hi there,
Just want to update you on my case: CIC cancelled my visitor application while processing my open work permit under the new public policy. Last week, I received refunds for both cancelled visitor and the new open work permit (total C$200). So, it means that you have to pay for ‘restore status’ fees to apply the new wp.
Thanks for the update!!