+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status - Expiring Passport

TTY666

Sep 7, 2020
Hey Everyone,
I submitted by application for PR and BOWP on Sept 2020. My working holiday permit also expired on Sep 15 2020. I am currently on implied status however my passport will expire in Jul 2021, I read on a thread that I should renew it 6 months before my passport expires.

Any ideas/suggestions on what I should do or when I should renew my passport?

And when I do renew my passport, what am I still on implied status?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can renew your passport if you wish.

Your status isn't linked to your passport and you will continue to remain in implied status even on the new passport.

However, you need to notify IRCC once you get the new passport because your CoPR will need to have the new passport number on it. You can do this via the webform.

If I were you, though, I'd just wait till May 2021 before I tried renewing the passport. You're likely to have your PR well before that, and you don't need to worry about mishaps with the passport. Unless your country requires you to renew your passport six months prior to expiry (which country are we talking about?), you shouldn't have an issue applying for a new passport a month before it expires.

TTY666

Sep 7, 2020
You can renew your passport if you wish.

Your status isn't linked to your passport and you will continue to remain in implied status even on the new passport.

However, you need to notify IRCC once you get the new passport because your CoPR will need to have the new passport number on it. You can do this via the webform.

If I were you, though, I'd just wait till May 2021 before I tried renewing the passport. You're likely to have your PR well before that, and you don't need to worry about mishaps with the passport. Unless your country requires you to renew your passport six months prior to expiry (which country are we talking about?), you shouldn't have an issue applying for a new passport a month before it expires.

Hi 21Goose,

Thanks for your reply. My concern is that I will get my BOWP granted but only up until when my passport expires which is Jul 2021.
At the rate IRCC is going, I don't think that my PR will be approved even by end of 2021.

My passport is an Australian passport, I don't think I would have issue applying for new passport 1 month before expiry.