+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status: Currently got LMO, applying for open work permit.

Christopholus

Sep 27, 2012
The more time I spend on the CIC website, the more I find little tidbits of information that make me question whether or not my grand plan for immigration is all going to go as expected.

After reading the following quoted text on the CIC website, I wonder whether or not I will be able to get implied status.

I currently have a work permit that was obtained with an LMO which expires in January. Submitting an inland application for residency in spousal sponsorship class along with an app for an OWP soon. As the conditions of my old and new work permit will be different I wonder if I will be eligible for implied status?

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until CIC decides on your application unless you have applied to extend your stay under another category.

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
It says "If you applied for a different kind of permit"... I am going from work permit to work permit, but one will be closed and one will be open.

Also, is there a certificate of implied status that you receive? Or any kind of proof of status to present to an employer?

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
If you are now on a work permit with a LMO then you should have implied status and you can keep working.

Only work permits like the IEC (Working Holiday, Young Professional) which are not extendable have no implied status.

I don't think there is an official letter you will get. Send an email to question@cic.gc.ca and ask them

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
Christopholus said:
Also, is there a certificate of implied status that you receive? Or any kind of proof of status to present to an employer?
Unfortunately, no. When I was on implied status I always sent an email with the "implied status" description from CIC and the pdf that confirmed that my application for a new work permit was submitted, with the date (which is from BEFORE your current work permit expired). Most of the times I had to explain it, cause people were like... huh???

Also, implied status means that you can continue to work under the same conditions as your LMO. You won't be able to get a new job until you receive the open work permit.