+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status and Port of Entry Work Permit

cellarbelow

Sep 10, 2018
Hi All,

I wondered if someone could give some advice:
  • I was previously on an IEC working permit, which expired on June 10th
  • before it expired I applied for Express Entry - CEC and received my AOR on May 28th
  • I then applied for a bridging open work permit - same employer, on June 1st
I still have not received my BOWP and have been on implied status since June 10th. I have a family emergency and need to return to the United Kingdom (a visa exempt country) this week. I am wondering does anyone know much about my options for returning to Canada to work if I don't receive the BOWP this week?

I am employed and would like to return to work. I know that I will likely revoke my implied status at the border when I return as I do not have a valid permit country. Am I able to apply for a new work permit at the border? I don't know much about this process.

Thanks for your help,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is actually no implied status after IEC. Surprised that you have not heard back from CIC telling you that you need to stop working.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

When I spoke to the CIC helpline they said that I am, because I applied for the BOWP.
1. Typical from the "misinformation" call centre. Suggest you read the wiki on implied status at the top. You can only have implied status if the work permit you have is extendable, IEC is not, so you are working without status.
2. Once you leave Canada, any implied status you have ends.

Reactions: canuck78

cellarbelow

Sep 10, 2018
Hi

1. Typical from the "misinformation" call centre. Suggest you read the wiki on implied status at the top. You can only have implied status if the work permit you have is extendable, IEC is not, so you are working without status.
2. Once you leave Canada, any implied status you have ends.
Thanks for your reply- my main question is regarding applying for a new work permit at the border and what that process looks like / what the requirements are.