+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied Status and Multiple Visitor Permits

Js101

Jan 31, 2013
Hello All,

I have been unable to get clarity from CIC on a couple of questions and wondered if there may be someone knowledgeable here that may be willing to help.

I am a US citizen who was working here in Canada on a work permit. My permit was for a specific assignment for a specific employer. Unfortunately, things didn't work in the particular assignment I was on and I ended up quitting this job. I will now be going back to the States but would be interested in keeping Canadian opportunities open to me.

I understand my WP is still valid, meaning I could potentially work for the same employer. i want to keep this an option, since it is possible. in addition, I would like to be able to visit Canada to attend job interviews, and possibly for leisure purposes this summer.

- I have been told by some CIC officials that I can change employers and work here under implied status. (If I was already here in Canada when I applied?

- I have been told by CIC officials that implied status only applies to expiring work permits.

- Also, I have been told that my WP grants me access to Canada for job interviews, and other purposes, but that the CBSA officer can, at his discretion, revoke the WP and re-issue a different permit if he so chooses.

I do not want this risk of revocation. How can this be avoided?

Could it be considered lying to an officer if I were to come to the border and present my WP to an officer even though I was going for other purposes?

If I were to just not present the WP and try to get a new permit for the purpose I have come (recreation or job interview) would that work, and would it be legal? (ie: if a CBSA officer somehow found out, would it be frowned upon?

If I should come for an interview, what kind of permit would be required and could i get this permit with open ended dates, so I can come at any time I am asked?

Thanks much for your time.