N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2016
LANDED..........
03-27-2016
Hi

Does anyone know if you are considered to be on implied status if you were previously on the IEC permit and is waiting approval for the BOWP?

Thanks

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
It's a grey area.

Some people say that you cannot continue working because your application is not a work permit extension, it's an application for a new (different type) of work permit.

Some people say that you can continue working because you are going from an open work permit to another open work permit.

I was in this situation last year and continued working after my IEC visa expired. My CEC PR application and my BOWP both went through just fine. I assumed I could continue working and it was never raised as a problem.

If you posed the question to a CIC agent a bunch of times, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer varied by agent. Others will add their thoughts, but unfortunately, I imagine you will end up having to make your own decision.

Couple of sources:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=188&t=17
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=189&t=17

lori30

Jun 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Canada
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-26-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-18-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2016
LANDED..........
03-27-2016
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a very grey area.

I am applying for PR here so I am not wanting to just extend my previous visa and time here but I want to work and wait here until I get my decision for my PR.

Hopefully I will get my BOWP soon, it's nearly 41 days for me now.

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
Decision Made - 29-02-2016 (Visa Exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
This is just my opinion on this topic... I did a lot of research when I nearly had to go on implied status after my IEC and before my BOWP.

There is nowhere on the current CIC website that says there is no implied status between IEC and BOWP. Some will argue that there is a rule with the IEC permit that it cannot be extended therefore is not possible to be on implied status afterwards, but I think that means you can't extend your IEC to another IEC (you have to apply for a new "permit outside Canada"). When you apply for BOWP you are applying to extend your stay, correct?

I think it's up to you to do your own research and come to your own conclusion. It looks like many people have done it recently and had no problems, there are some forum members that will say their 'friend' was deported or didn't get PR as a result but I haven't seen a thread where someone said it was them that it happened to.

Sylar2000

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
joolery said:
This is just my opinion on this topic... I did a lot of research when I nearly had to go on implied status after my IEC and before my BOWP.

There is nowhere on the current CIC website that says there is no implied status between IEC and BOWP. Some will argue that there is a rule with the IEC permit that it cannot be extended therefore is not possible to be on implied status afterwards, but I think that means you can't extend your IEC to another IEC (you have to apply for a new "permit outside Canada"). When you apply for BOWP you are applying to extend your stay, correct?

I think it's up to you to do your own research and come to your own conclusion. It looks like many people have done it recently and had no problems, there are some forum members that will say their 'friend' was deported or didn't get PR as a result but I haven't seen a thread where someone said it was them that it happened to.
Hello I called immigration regarding this matter last January. I asked them whether I/we can still be able to work after your work permit expires. They said that if you have applied for an extension for your stay in Canada before your current work permit expires, you are LEGAL to stay and work on THE SAME employer until the decision has been made for your application. Your status will be 'implied status' after your current work permit expires..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sylar2000 said:
Hello I called immigration regarding this matter last January. I asked them whether I/we can still be able to work after your work permit expires. They said that if you have applied for an extension for your stay in Canada before your current work permit expires, you are LEGAL to stay and work on THE SAME employer until the decision has been made for your application. Your status will be 'implied status' after your current work permit expires..
1. I suggest you read the following letter received from CIC regarding IEC and implied status

The following is letter received from CIC regarding implied status. The highlighted portion will be of interest of those on IEC work permits, who continue to think that they can benefit from Implied status to continue working.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Implied Status - Temporary Residents

As a temporary resident (TR), if you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a TR until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status*.

If you hold a work permit or a study permit, you can continue working or studying under the conditions of your previous permit if you have applied to extend your stay in Canada under the same category. However, if you have applied to extend your stay under another category, you must stop working or studying.

If you leave Canada while under implied status, you may be authorized to:

Re-enter Canada as a TR, if the Case Processing Centre (CPC) has not yet made a decision on your application to extend your work permit. Please note that you will not be permitted to work/study until you receive your new permit. You must satisfy the officer at the port of entry (POE) that you have sufficient means of support. This applies if you:
are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt;
held a valid multiple-entry visa before leaving Canada; or
travelled only to the United States** and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
Re-enter Canada as a worker/student, if the officer at the POE determines that your application to extend your work/study permit was approved by the CPC while you were outside Canada;
or
Apply for a new work/study permit at the POE provided you have the right to do so under the Regulations.
For more information on implied status, please consult the Operational Manual - Overseas Processing (OP 11) - Section 24.

* Participants in international youth exchange programs (e.g., Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP), International Experience Canada (IEC) or Working Holiday Program (WHP)) do not benefit from implied status, unless extending a work permit not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program.

**Including its Territories and Possessions.

From the FW Manual (no longer on line)

The Temporary Foreign Worker's handbook: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

You are on IEC right now, which is a type of TFW, so this handbook applies to you.

2) Open it up to Section 5.22, "Implied Status". That says that if you have applied for a new work permit, you can keep working under the conditions of your old work permit - that is, the conditions of your IEC visa. So, let's look at the conditions of your IEC visa.

3) Open it up to Section 5.34, to the paragraph that begins with "Conditions of Work Permit", and highlight this line:

Quote:
IEC participants may not request to extend their stay under IEC unless the extension is within the original authorized period of stay as per their LOI.
It is explicitly a condition of IEC that you cannot ask for an extension. Implied Status is a type of extension - a temporary extension that is meant to bridge you between your old permit expiring, and your new one being issued.

So, for you to benefit from implied status, you need to have a work permit that can be extended. It says right there, IEC cannot be extended. Because you cannot extend IEC, you cannot benefit from implied status.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
I think my original response to this thread was spot on really.

In theory you cannot work on implied status whilst going from an IEC visa to a BOWP. It's stated on both the sources I provided and in those posted by PMM.

I also said that it was a grey area and that you'd get varied answers from people here and CIC agents; Sylar2000 has confirmed a CIC agent response contrary to the actual CIC rules, though that call was a long time ago in immigration terms.

You will end up having to make a decision by yourself, whether you think it's worth the risk of working on implied status. Personally, I'd give the CIC a few calls to see what they say each time and go with your gut. It would be advisable to record the call yourself, so that you have some evidence that a CIC agent has (hopefully) told you that you can continue working.

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
PMM - What is the date of that letter?
Arowberry - Where in those sources (links) you provided does it say that you cannot get implied status from IEC?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
joolery said:
PMM - What is the date of that letter?
Arowberry - Where in those sources (links) you provided does it say that you cannot get implied status from IEC?
Yes, if you applied for a work permit extension before...
If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired...
Both links indicate that you qualify if you are extending your work permit. Going from an IEC to BOWP visa is changing visa type; it's not an extension.

The second link also contains this:

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit.
The example for the above statement is a little unhelpful though; it is for student to work permit. It'd be more helpful if the CIC made mention of one type of work permit to another.

I do fully appreciate that these links are open to interpretation, adding to the 'greyish' on this situation. As previously mentioned, I did work between the end of my IEC visa and getting my BOWP.

joolery

Aug 13, 2014
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
12-01-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2016
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
arowberry said:
Both links indicate that you qualify if you are extending your work permit. Going from an IEC to BOWP visa is changing visa type; it's not an extension.

The second link also contains this:

The example for the above statement is a little unhelpful though; it is for student to work permit. It'd be more helpful if the CIC made mention of one type of work permit to another.

I do fully appreciate that these links are open to interpretation, adding to the 'greyish' on this situation. As previously mentioned, I did work between the end of my IEC visa and getting my BOWP.
I too accept that these are just our interpretations.

Wouldn't that also mean that anyone going from a closed (LMIA) permit to a BOWP would also not be eligible for implied status?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Haha, good question. Likewise for postgrads!

I really don't know; I'm almost certain that I would do the same, if I were in the same situation again.

Sylar2000

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. I suggest you read the following letter received from CIC regarding IEC and implied status

The following is letter received from CIC regarding implied status. The highlighted portion will be of interest of those on IEC work permits, who continue to think that they can benefit from Implied status to continue working.

Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Implied Status - Temporary Residents

As a temporary resident (TR), if you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a TR until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status*.

If you hold a work permit or a study permit, you can continue working or studying under the conditions of your previous permit if you have applied to extend your stay in Canada under the same category. However, if you have applied to extend your stay under another category, you must stop working or studying.

If you leave Canada while under implied status, you may be authorized to:

Re-enter Canada as a TR, if the Case Processing Centre (CPC) has not yet made a decision on your application to extend your work permit. Please note that you will not be permitted to work/study until you receive your new permit. You must satisfy the officer at the port of entry (POE) that you have sufficient means of support. This applies if you:
are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt;
held a valid multiple-entry visa before leaving Canada; or
travelled only to the United States** and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon by the end of the period initially authorized for their stay or any extension to it;
Re-enter Canada as a worker/student, if the officer at the POE determines that your application to extend your work/study permit was approved by the CPC while you were outside Canada;
or
Apply for a new work/study permit at the POE provided you have the right to do so under the Regulations.
For more information on implied status, please consult the Operational Manual - Overseas Processing (OP 11) - Section 24.

* Participants in international youth exchange programs (e.g., Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP), International Experience Canada (IEC) or Working Holiday Program (WHP)) do not benefit from implied status, unless extending a work permit not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program.

**Including its Territories and Possessions.

From the FW Manual (no longer on line)

The Temporary Foreign Worker's handbook: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

You are on IEC right now, which is a type of TFW, so this handbook applies to you.

2) Open it up to Section 5.22, "Implied Status". That says that if you have applied for a new work permit, you can keep working under the conditions of your old work permit - that is, the conditions of your IEC visa. So, let's look at the conditions of your IEC visa.

3) Open it up to Section 5.34, to the paragraph that begins with "Conditions of Work Permit", and highlight this line:

Quote:
IEC participants may not request to extend their stay under IEC unless the extension is within the original authorized period of stay as per their LOI.
It is explicitly a condition of IEC that you cannot ask for an extension. Implied Status is a type of extension - a temporary extension that is meant to bridge you between your old permit expiring, and your new one being issued.

So, for you to benefit from implied status, you need to have a work permit that can be extended. It says right there, IEC cannot be extended. Because you cannot extend IEC, you cannot benefit from implied status.
Sorry my mistake.. I was referring to expiring work permit to Open work permit..
I have the same letter sent by immigration..

lori30

Jun 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Canada
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-26-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-18-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2016
LANDED..........
03-27-2016
Hi

Does any one know what sort of questions you get at the border when you are activating the BOWP visa?

Thanks

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
I submitted my BOWP application by mail and the work permit showed up in the post; so there was no need to do a border run.

I would guess it's the same for online applications, but hopefully someone can confirm.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lori30 said:
Hi

Does any one know what sort of questions you get at the border when you are activating the BOWP visa?

Thanks
None, since you can't apply for a BOWP at the border.