+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

impact : unable to meet 730 obligation due to COVID

kn2172

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hi all ,

I was searching around a lot but was not able to find , what will be the impact of people who are not able to meet PR obligation of 730 days due to pause on international travel from India to Canada.

Is there any rule that has officially come out for the same ?

Does such people need to inform authorities that they will be late to arrive ?

I understand that people had already got 3 years to make the decision , but there are cases where people had decided to arrive in Canada just on the verge of meeting the PR obligation.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No exceptions have been announced so far given as you have said people have a pretty generous amount of time allocated to meet the residency obligation. Just unfortunate set of circumstances with COVID so you will need to take your chances on a sympathetic CBSA officer at the POE but suggest that you travel back as soon as flights are available from your country.

Nobody here can of course predict how much scrutiny anyone might get at the POE but the longer somone is out of the country you could speculate more scrutiny or you could speculate none at all beyond any health questions related to COVID.

My view would be probablly not a good idea to alert the authorities although there is no indication they would do anything or respond so is your decision if makes you feel you have done everything possible to mitigate any issue

Reactions: kn2172

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi all ,

I was searching around a lot but was not able to find , what will be the impact of people who are not able to meet PR obligation of 730 days due to pause on international travel from India to Canada.

Is there any rule that has officially come out for the same ?

Does such people need to inform authorities that they will be late to arrive ?

I understand that people had already got 3 years to make the decision , but there are cases where people had decided to arrive in Canada just on the verge of meeting the PR obligation.
And there’s always that old saying

“ Don’t leave things to the last minute “

Reactions: kn2172