+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact on Spousal Sponsorship application if a sponsor decides to temporarily leave Canada to be with Spouse?

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
I had applied to sponsor my spouse via the outland family sponsorship application on March 30, 2020. I have only had a Nikkah with my Spouse in December 2019 but unfortunately because of the numerous requirements with regards to supporting documentations and signatures, it took us 3 months to gather everything and by the time the final application was submitted to the Mississauga office, the Covid 19 pandemic was at its peak. At the time, i was advised to not file the sponsorship application until the conclusion of the remaining wedding functions but i decided to take a risk and file the sponsorship papers.

Through my MP's office, the feedback i received was that the IRC offices are closed and they are only only focusing on family sponsorship, spousal sponsorship applications received in February 2020 and on emergency cases and there is a massive backlog. It is now August 2020 and i have not received an AOR as of yet. Because of family pressure from the girl's side of the family, we have no choice but to complete the remaining wedding functions in December 2020

The plus side is that we will get the remaining wedding functions done and out of the way and if the application is just in the processing phase and if they ask us for proof of the final wedding functions, ruksatti then all supporting videos, pictures and documentation can be provided. My parents want me to spend a maximum of one month with my spouse in Pakistan and then return back to Canada while my spouse will stay with my parents until the final visa comes. However i don't feel right about this and i feel that the right thing for me to do in this scenario is to actually stay with my spouse in Pakistan till the time the spousal visa comes and then come to Canada with her myself when the time comes.

I just wanted to inquire will this course of action have any impact on the spousal application that we filed? Previously it was an outland spousal sponsorship application form, will we now have to make any changes to the application or inform the IRC about this?

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
If you’re a citizen, completing the outland process whilst you’re not living in Canada shouldn’t be a problem, make sure you update IRCC with your new address.

That being said, I’m unsure whether you would then need to show evidence you intend to move back to Canada once your sponsored spouse is approved as would be the case for any other sponsoring citizen living outside of Canada; perhaps a more experienced member could weigh in on that point?

frisbee2017

Star Member
May 23, 2017
As long as you are not moving permanently, you should be fine. I travelled for 3 weeks after filling my application. I am again visiting my spouse. This time I’ll be here for more than a month.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
I am a Canadian Citizen. My parents have a house in Toronto which they live in and my dad has a few rental properties. They also have different bank and investment accounts. I am a Canadian CPA as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a Canadian Citizen. My parents have a house in Toronto which they live in and my dad has a few rental properties. They also have different bank and investment accounts. I am a Canadian CPA as well.
Your parents properties don’t make a difference to your application. You will need to prove that you will return to Canada once your wife’s PR is approved or else she will not get PR. As you have already been advised your application is likely to be refused because you have not finished all the ceremonies.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
Your parents properties don’t make a difference to your application. You will need to prove that you will return to Canada once your wife’s PR is approved or else she will not get PR. As you have already been advised your application is likely to be refused because you have not finished all the ceremonies.
What if they start processing the application after we finish with the remaining ceremonies in December 2020?

frisbee2017

Star Member
May 23, 2017
What if they start processing the application after we finish with the remaining ceremonies in December 2020?
if the other ceremonies are not legally required to complete your marriage then you are good. I filed my application after my Nikah and civil marriage. It wasn’t rejected. I had my reception 2 months after Nikah. They haven’t asked me for additional proof, yet. My application is in process and the next step is PR,

You can read about residence here: https://jrlawoffice.com/reside-canada/

You don’t have to update your address unless you are leaving your current address.

IRCC will have access to entry exit data for new applications. This came into effect on August 21st https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/entry-exit.html

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if the other ceremonies are not legally required to complete your marriage then you are good. I filed my application after my Nikah and civil marriage. It wasn’t rejected. I had my reception 2 months after Nikah. They haven’t asked me for additional proof, yet. My application is in rovers and the next step is PR,

You can read about residence here: https://jrlawoffice.com/reside-canada/

You don’t have to update your address unless you are not leaving your current address.

IRCC will have access to entry exit data for new applications. This came into effect on August 21st https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/entry-exit.html
We have seen many other who weren’t approved until after the rushkti. You also did a civil marriage which may be the reason your application May be accepted since it hasn’t been already.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can update your file but you needed to complete all the ceremonies before you applied not almost a year after you applied.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as you are not moving permanently, you should be fine. I travelled for 3 weeks after filling my application. I am again visiting my spouse. This time I’ll be here for more than a month.
Really isn’t advisable to be out of Canada for almost 2 months within a year while applying for sponsorship. Others have been denied for that length.

murdan94

Nov 11, 2019
Really isn’t advisable to be out of Canada for almost 2 months within a year while applying for sponsorship. Others have been denied for that length.
So i dont understand is it okay for citizens to go outside of canada and stay with their spouse during the Process time??? Or is it not okay and would they be able to go back after the process has ended and move back to canada both together ? I am confused ,,,,

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So i dont understand is it okay for citizens to go outside of canada and stay with their spouse during the Process time??? Or is it not okay and would they be able to go back after the process has ended and move back to canada both together ? I am confused ,,,,
It's OK to move out. But you will need to provide proof that you have plan to move back to Canada. Trust me, some people just got PR for their spouses and never move back.

murdan94

Nov 11, 2019
It's OK to move out. But you will need to provide proof that you have plan to move back to Canada. Trust me, some people just got PR for their spouses and never move back.
Thats weird then whats the point of even submitting an application and slowing down everyone elses when u dont want to move or live in canada