+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact on PR application if moving out of Canada

ankitmehta19

Feb 3, 2019
Hi,

I am currently working in Canada on close work permit and planning to apply for PR.

While my PR application is in process if I move out of Canada for a year then will that have any impact on my PR application ?

Thanks,
Ankit

Takentaken421

Aug 30, 2018
Why are you posting the same question under different threads??

There won't be any impact on your PR application if you move to US on H1. The two are independent processes, and have nothing to do with each other.

ankitmehta19

Feb 3, 2019
Why are you posting the same question under different threads??

There won't be any impact on your PR application if you move to US on H1. The two are independent processes, and have nothing to do with each other.
Thanks for your quick reply.

But on immigration website(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28) it is mentioned that

"If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:
If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it."

In my case my company is transferring me to USA so I am not sure if my close work permit will still be valid. So will this be a cause of worry ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Other can comment as well but I read that as similar condition discussed for inland spouse sponsorship in that if someone leaves Canada and tries to return but for whatever reason is denied entry then any PR application could be considered abandoned. For this reason with spouse inland applications the recommendation generally is to not leave but how that relates to a close permit not sure.

Maybe would have to assume that the moment you become employed even by the same company in the US that your closed work permit would no longer be valid so you could no longer meet one of the conditions but thats just a personal interpretation. Ultimately the FAQ quoted is a generic statement that applies to any temp resident or even visitor that each entry into the country is subject to assessment by CBSA,no way of course to predict entry or denial.

So guess as your job is moving to the US just have to wait it out and let the PR application move along keeping any returns to Canada to a minimum if at all until you get your COPR. Again all above just personal view and sure that someone on here has been in the same position at some point maybe without an issue

Reactions: ankitmehta19

ankitmehta19

Feb 3, 2019
Other can comment as well but I read that as similar condition discussed for inland spouse sponsorship in that if someone leaves Canada and tries to return but for whatever reason is denied entry then any PR application could be considered abandoned. For this reason with spouse inland applications the recommendation generally is to not leave but how that relates to a close permit not sure.

Maybe would have to assume that the moment you become employed even by the same company in the US that your closed work permit would no longer be valid so you could no longer meet one of the conditions but thats just a personal interpretation. Ultimately the FAQ quoted is a generic statement that applies to any temp resident or even visitor that each entry into the country is subject to assessment by CBSA,no way of course to predict entry or denial.

So guess as your job is moving to the US just have to wait it out and let the PR application move along keeping any returns to Canada to a minimum if at all until you get your COPR. Again all above just personal view and sure that someone on here has been in the same position at some point maybe without an issue
Thank you so much. I agree with you.

But I didn't get one thing that once PR gets approved one will get COPR then why that person needs to worry if he has valid work permit or not.